Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-25-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Question for Gun Enthusiasts

Does anyone here have an idea of how I can go about buying an M1 Garand from the US government? I've heard people talk about this program, but I've been unable to find a definitive answer.

I know there are a few others in that program, but at the moment I'm only interesting in a Garand.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Question for Gun Enthusiasts

My understanding was that they no longer had any Garands. You can try this link: Govt Liquidation. These are the pople that actually the selling for the govt. Also, the Springfield Armory is making Garands again so you can actually buy new one: M1 Garand. Although they are expensive.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My understanding was that they no longer had any Garands. You can try this link: Govt Liquidation. These are the pople that actually the selling for the govt. Also, the Springfield Armory is making Garands again so you can actually buy new one: M1 Garand. Although they are expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try. I kick myself in the ass for passing on a very clean International Harvester WWII Garand that was in the $500-600 range. I ran into that deal about 6-8 months back, but nothing near as good since.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:20 PM

Purchases of Garands from the Government were through the Civilian Marksmanship Program, not through normal surplus channels. I have not look into the CMP lately, and don't know if they still have Garands. Check CMP

There are a ton of used Garands in circulation. You should be able to get a decent one at a gun show for about $500, or through a local gun shop.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Purchases of Garands from the Government were through the Civilian Marksmanship Program, not through normal surplus channels. I have not look into the CMP lately, and don't know if they still have Garands. Check CMP

There are a ton of used Garands in circulation. You should be able to get a decent one at a gun show for about $500, or through a local gun shop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks alot, that's exactly what I've been looking for. "Civilian Marksmanship Program" is the term I was looking for. I couldn't remember what it was called and was therefore unable to do web searches. Thanks!