Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 10:31 PM

Default any advice for an individual seriously considering starting a business

I'm about 75% convinced I will be going into business for myself in the spring of next year. If you own or have started a business, what is the most valuable piece of advice you would give a beginner? Where do you go for information? How should I organize the business? INC, LLP, LLC? I know I do not want to be a DBA for liability reasons and I am leaning towards INC. There will be a minority owner/partner. BTW I am located in TX and will be conducting the vast majority of business in TX. Thanks in advance for any wisdom offered.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:35 PM

Default Re: any advice for an individual seriously considering starting a busi

go take a small business class at some local college. They take a few days to do, but its worth it.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:38 PM

That is definitely in my plans. I managed to graduate from college without taking a single freakin business class thanks to the nature of my degree. Can you believe that? I thought I was lucky at the time.... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 10:43 PM

yeah, you are probably gonna want to take some business classes too.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:45 PM

Write a thorough business plan before you do anything else. It's a pain in the ass, but is imminently valuable (and so many people who start businesses don't do it).
Old 11-25-2004, 11:24 AM

Default Re: any advice for an individual seriously considering starting a business

Make sure you pay all of your payroll taxes on time. Back taxes oewd to the KGB (I mean IRS) will bankrupt a small business in a heartbeat.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:55 AM

Default Re: any advice for an individual seriously considering starting a business

Always introduce yourself as "degenerategambler" to all those involved in your business-related activities.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:11 PM

I think it depends on what kind of business you start.

INC is good if you may have investment rounds to fund the startup and want to be protected more from personal liability.

The partnerships are handy for various tax reasons like passing on losses each year. The best answer would come from an accountant, who would also be useful to retain for the business.

D.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:14 PM

How well do you know your 'partners'? Are you going to have employees and if so how many? That is an important thing to know and/or to plan for as it has implications on many rules and regulations.

The small business administration has a useful website Start up . The IRS also has publications about small business taxes etc, check out their website.

Health insurance, business insurance, state tax structure (gross reciepts taxes for example), office supplies, computer services and support etc etc etc. There is much to consider, depending of course, on the size of the business that you intend to start.

-Zeno
Old 11-25-2004, 12:17 PM

Make sure you have enough working capital for the business and your personal expenses. Most new businesses go under within 12 months because of lack of capital.