Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 09:49 AM

Default Winning percentages vs card odds

I was wondering which information is more valuable: winning percentages or card odds?
In a particular gaming moment, an odds calculator (like cardplayer.com) will tell you the chances for you to win the hand, by analyzing the distribution of cards at that moment. But the software “sees” all cards, and you only see your pocket cards and the board cards. Now, if you calculate somehow the chances for achieving certain card formations, a different information is taken into account (own hole cards + board). The same information stands for calculating your opponents’ chances of achieving something.
At a first view, it seems that winning percentages are rough results.
I recently got an excellent odds ebook (from www.probability.go.ro/page8.html). It tells you all odds involved (any card formation for own hand and for opponents’) and the entire math behind the game. But I can’t use it in the middle of an online game because of time. Memorizing all the results is out of question and even following the tables for certain parameters would take a lot of time. Anyone knows a software based on those formulas?
So, my question is: which is the best odds strategy – following the winning percentages or comparing the card odds? If second, how we can do this in the middle of the game?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.