Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Best chairs

Which are the best type for back support? Any recommendations?

Harry
Old 11-16-2004, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Best chairs

Not stools.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:48 PM

If you do want a stool do furniture outlets let you try before you buy with stool samples?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:18 AM

Let me know how many you need and next time I go to work I can get you plenty of "stool samples".
Old 11-17-2004, 09:52 PM

I got a big fat overstuffed rocker/recliner and am in chair heaven for the first time since I was old enough to buy my own furniture. Much better than sitting at a desk in a normal chair, and I seriously recommend it.

I got a relative inexpensive height-adjustable table to slide it up to, which holds both my 19-inch CRT's. If I tilt my head a fraction to the right, as long as my chair is tilted back even a little, I can see my t.v. set. A small fraction more if the chair is upright. Fully reclined, I can watch t.v. comfortably without moving my head or tilting it much at all. Muahaha! It's sooo comfy and easy.

I put my optical mouse in my lap(doesn't get jammed up and gummy) on a small stadium blanket I have wrapped around a thin hard cover book(though I did it with magazines before, to provide stiffness for easy mousing). So I hardly have to move at all, and there is no strain on shoulders or elbows no matter how long I play. I'm not tempted to screw up my back slouching at a regular desk, since it's already supported fine. I can move my keyboard down to my lap too, when I want to type, propping it on the blanketed book and using the mouse wherever, like on the fat arm of the recliner, a spot on the blanket, or the table, which is still in easy reach. When I play poker, I move the keyboard up to the table and just mouse around. I don't have any back and arm and shoulder aches anymore, which I used to get all the time, and used to give me some serious worry as to what I was doing to my joint health. (I tend to lean and slump a lot after a while.)

Everything couldn't be more comfortable or adjustable. If I'm feeling twitchy or like sitting up more straight, I find myself rocking in the chair or just sitting in it upright. If I feel like any degree of being lazy or just wanting a different feel, I make with the leg support and my feet are up in whatever varying degrees I choose. The back of the chair adjusts so the chair opens up to practically flat if I want it to, and I can choose anywhere in between that and upright. Anytime I feel just like changing positions, I change the angle of the chair and it's a whole new chair potato paradigm!

It's really pretty righteous for poker. I find it much easier to play for 6 or 7 hours now than I used to for 3 hours. Yesterday I got in over 10 hours, most of it 6 to 8-tabling, without realizing it really, and got about 4,000 hands in. I used to find more than 700 hands a day kind of tough; now I feel I can play much, much longer, and am nowhere near as bleary or burnt-out when I'm done even after extended sessions.

It all couldn't be sweeter, and again, I highly recommend it. There's nothing I can think of that could possibly make things any more comfortable for me. Oh yeah, maybe a warmer pot of some sort to keep some tea hot, and a cup warmer, so I never have to move at all. Ah...sweeeeeeeet....
Old 11-17-2004, 11:05 PM

Stool sample jokes aside,I have one from Office Max.They have them assembled and on the floor so just take your time sitting in each one and see what you like.I have the Layered Comfort Collection model 2985.I put a genuine imitation leather car seat/lumbar support pad on it for extra padding(from Pep Boys).It is has height adjustment,rocker lock and tension control,and a massager.I prefer sitting on this now over my relaxing and,quite frankly,very tasteful leather furniture.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:02 AM

I have a heating massager thingy I can lay over my chair too, but I've only tried it in the store. I should bust it out just to really get disgustingly self-indulgent. There were chairs I saw that had that built in to varying degrees, but I just chose the most comfy one and said to heck with the massagers. There were also very nice looking ones advertised online, but I really prefer to plop my body on beds and furniture before I decide if they're right for me. A place like you went to is a good way to do it, too. I've been to stores like that where only one out of 30 or more chairs feels right to me. Just being over six feet tall means you don't fit quite right in a huge percentage of chairs. You may fit IN them -- but they don't fit you.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Which are the best type for back support? Any recommendations?

Harry

[/ QUOTE ]

Aeron is the nuts. Search this site, or Google the newsgroup rec.gambling.poker (or the net in general) for more info.

~ Rick
Old 11-18-2004, 01:21 AM

Yep.I drive for a living and have for years so I'm fussy as hell about back support and the like.Take plenty of time to test drive furniture.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I tilt my head a fraction to the right, as long as my chair is tilted back even a little, I can see my t.v. set. A small fraction more if the chair is upright. Fully reclined, I can watch t.v. comfortably without moving my head or tilting it much at all. Muahaha! It's sooo comfy and easy.

I put my optical mouse in my lap(doesn't get jammed up and gummy) on a small stadium blanket I have wrapped around a thin hard cover book(though I did it with magazines before, to provide stiffness for easy mousing). So I hardly have to move at all

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you have fantasies about Stephen Hawking calling you up saying "Hey Blarg, you want some of my old gear? It's used but nearly mint." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]