Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Phil Gordon on \"the other Phil\"

From Cardplayer website:

"My theory is that if you’re going to be a professional, act like a professional. That’s always a very easy way to differentiate me from ‘the other Phil.’"

Gee, I didn't know he felt so strongly about Ivey! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Phil Gordon on \"the other Phil\"

Maybe he means Laak! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2004, 09:35 PM

It's weird that there are four well known pros named Phil, since it's not that common of a name. Maybe I should name my first born son Phil.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:31 PM

Nope you guys are all wrong. Mr. Gordon is clearly speaking of this [censored] guy...

http://www.philpapmuth.com/
Old 11-17-2004, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's weird that there are four well known pros named Phil, since it's not that common of a name. Maybe I should name my first born son Phil.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot one.

-Phil
Old 11-17-2004, 03:33 AM

It's a persuasive statement, but...and correct me if I'm wrong...isn't the measure of how "professional" a poker player is based on the amount of money he wins?

Gordon, who, I suppose, is a bit starry-eyed from his co-hosting duties on Celebrity Poker Showdown, is more describing the proper behavior of a poker celebrity.

Now, some of the top pros have proven themselves to be very amenable to this sort of thing: Negreanu, Doyle, Chan(I'm including him because of the Rounders gig), and to a certain extent, even Hellmuth.

But, being "professional" in behavior has nothing to do with being a professional poker player. Poker players are free to be nice, personable, and all the other good characteristics(and most of them are), but they are also free to be jerks...and their decisions either way are irrelevant to their status as being among the elite in their chosen profession.

Phil Gordon, while a notable pro, is not someone who I really would put in my list of top players. More of a second tier type guy. Now, I am sure that he is a wonderful man who comports himself terrifically and is a great spokesman for the game. But, I think we need to bear in mind what the whole point of poker is.

And to that end, if Gordon is going to get snippy about things...another way to differentiate between him and the other Phil is to see which one is wearing the golden bracelets.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:57 AM

Wasn't Gordon the one who pulled that classless act of getting the hand rankings card out when he beat hellmuth at the UB tourney in the WPT 1st season and then got taken to school by the young Helpi guy. Might say something about his professionalism.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't Gordon the one who pulled that classless act of getting the hand rankings card out when he beat hellmuth at the UB tourney in the WPT 1st season and then got taken to school by the young Helpi guy. Might say something about his professionalism.

[/ QUOTE ] Hew actually got the card out before then and was playing around like he himself didn't know the hand rankings. That was more a joke on himself, not Hellmuth.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a persuasive statement, but...and correct me if I'm wrong...isn't the measure of how "professional" a poker player is based on the amount of money he wins?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps the % of that persons income that comes from poker vs another source is the deciding factor. I'll be as bold to say, that if more than half of your anual income comes from playing poker then you could consider yourself a pro. Then again, my daughter could sell a finger painting to a friend for a nickle and call herself an artist. Strange...

Anyway, I'm not correcting you for being wrong... just trying to complete your definition.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:26 PM

Phil Gordon is a Tiltboy. Its pretty funny that the "professional attitude" should be advocated by a man the dressed as a woman to play in a ladies only tournament. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]