Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 12:14 PM

Default anyone play PLO8 sngs?

I decided to play some 5+.50 PLO8 SNGS on Stars as fun. I've been running bad in Holdem, and it's come to the point I'm just playing badly. Now, maybe I just hit a very good couple of games, but the play here seems awful, quite worse than even the .10/.25 PLO8 cash games. About 5 or 6 to the flop, even for a min raise. People pushing with just a straight draw on a paired, 2-suited board. I don't even consider myself good at Omaha, but this really feels like a play money table. Is it the limits? Is Omaha just an easier game? Or am I just getting lucky with the type of people I'm playing against?
Old 11-16-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: anyone play PLO8 sngs?

Yeah, I've played some on PP. The play on $30 is not good either. Of course, I'm pretty horrible as well. I think they are very profitable if you are a decent player. On the other hand, I don't really like the structure of the sit'n'gos for PL Omaha games. When you're all in all the time preflop it's hard to get a decent edge. All the dead money guys that play makes it worth your while, I guess.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:03 PM

I don't play them on PP. I assume you start with 800 chips as usual. That seems kinda dumb. At Stars, you start with 1500 and it allows for a lot more waiting and selective pushing.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:27 PM

I've played a bunch on Stars. It's pretty easy to get ITM and you just play super tight with only very good hands early/mid tourney. I haven't seen many players who are past clueless when it gets 4/3/2 handed. And I'm no expert either.

someone once said you can money by only playing your hands in the blinds - I don't think that's too far off.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:37 AM

dunno about PLO8 but i played (small irellevant sample i know) pl omaha high sngs winning 3,2nd and third in the other two (5/5 cashes). they were low limit 5+.50 but i basically sat there until i had the nuts on the turn or river, and pushed.
jason
Old 11-17-2004, 01:47 AM

I think u got the strategy licked...and I ain't being facetious.

edit: Doh!! thought you meant PLO8...that's what my comment refers to.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:09 PM

i think it is even more the case in the high game, although getting quarteered in a big pot can put you in a desperate spot quickly.
jason
Old 11-17-2004, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to play some 5+.50 PLO8 SNGS on Stars as fun. I've been running bad in Holdem, and it's come to the point I'm just playing badly. Now, maybe I just hit a very good couple of games, but the play here seems awful, quite worse than even the .10/.25 PLO8 cash games. About 5 or 6 to the flop, even for a min raise. People pushing with just a straight draw on a paired, 2-suited board. I don't even consider myself good at Omaha, but this really feels like a play money table. Is it the limits? Is Omaha just an easier game? Or am I just getting lucky with the type of people I'm playing against?

[/ QUOTE ]

PLO-8 SNGs are free money against loose, wild players. When they just started them on Party, it was possible to make the money around 75% of the time. Now that they've been around a while and a lot of the loose players have either wisened up or gone broke, they're not as profitable anymore, so enjoy them while they last.