Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 11-10-2004, 02:37 AM

Default Diamond Girl

There she was, Diamond Girl. How did I know? It said so, on her blouse, in sequins: DIAMOND GIRL. "Diamond" was on the top line, at a strategic level, so that the first "D" and the second one lined up with the, um, bulleyes. Mighty impressive. Mighty, mighty impressive. Top pair indeed.

She plays very well. Never limps pre-flop. Rarely raises on the flop. Either bets or calls. Rarely calls on the turn. Either raises or folds. Shows down very, very few hands. Only one I saw for a long time was when she called a frightening looking board being bet by her opponent all the way and he turned over K-4 for a pair of fours, king kicker, and she took the pot with A-4.

She seemed the ultimate floater, youngish and Asian. It was 70 degrees in L.A., but she had on a black motorcycle hat, giant black Gucci sunglasses, more make-up than Alice Cooper, and a long, black fur coat with black leather pants. Collagen lips, the whole package. She was downing Red Bulls and OJ (not together, first one, then the other). She got off to a slow start, so she took out twelve, yes twelve, thousand dollar chips from her purse and put them into play. After a while, she had won a lot of chips and I won a pot that contained a hundred dollar bill. She asked if she could get the bill from me and gave me ten brown $10 chips. I said sure and gave her the bill in exchange. She decided to take the bill off the table, and since she had about $15,000 in front of her in a $40-80 game, nobody objected. Bookkeeping, I guess. She was sitting next to me and took out five wads of hundred dollar bills with the $5,000 wrapper around them. She inspected those, and determined they were complete, so she added the bill to a loose wad, which loooked to have at least 100 others in it.

I'm not generally nosy, but I leaned over a bit and saw a cache of $1,000 and $5,000 dollar chips in the giant purse. My best guess is that she had $100,000 in cash and chips on her.

Soon she got up from the game and took a largish notebook from her purse. She went over to various tables, talked to a few players, made some notes. Took her about half an hour. Bookmaker? Call girl proprieter? Caterer? Who knows. . .

She's on my left. It's my small blind when all pass to the too-aggressive button who raises. I 3-bet with K-Ts. She asks who raised. The action is recounted for her. She caps. We both call. Flop is J-T-x. I check, she bets, button calls, I call. Turn is a blank. Check, bet, fold, I call. River is another blank. I check, she bets, I call. And there was a pause. So out of character--everything to that point was in rhythm, not just her play, her bearing, her whole essence. Finally, she says, A-Q. AMHWG.

Didn't faze her though. I had a good day, but when I left she was running circles around the table. When ziggin' was right, she was ziggin' and when zaggin' was right, well, you know. Everybody else was a half a step behind. Or more.

I never quite understood the "floater" phenomenon until I saw it close up today. She definitely has "it."

Might impressive. Mighty, mighty impressive.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Diamond Girl

is she pretty short with dyed blondish hair? if she's who im thinking i wonder why she was playing 40, i played 200-400 several times with her lately and she's one tough cookie indeed, plus quite a looker. stay out of pots with KTs against her andy, trust me on this one.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:56 AM

No, black hair, not that pretty (despite my intimations otherwise in my original post) and, the more I studied her (don't tell my wife), the less youthful I think she really was.

I had the K-T before I knew she had A-Q. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2004, 02:58 AM

ok cool it's not who im thinking then. interesting place, that commerce club.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:38 AM

ok even though i think you just explained it.... what exactly is a floater.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:46 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

As best I can tell:

Floater n. - Asian female most likely with pink hair who uses position and chips to run preflop raisers out of pots.

We seem to have a lack of floaters in Seattle, thus all is well here.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:29 PM

mike is referring to cc. I guess beauty (and skill) is in the eye of the beholder. diamond girl is nhu, a 40 player who I have seen playing 80 once or twice. I don't know anything about her, but she always seems nice when I play with her. she dresses much better than cc.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:52 PM

Yes, someone caller her Nhu. At least I think so. Either that or he said "High Noon." Hi, Nhu seems more likely.

And yes, she was very nice indeed.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:49 PM

Oh for the love of god. It's like in every 3rd post.

The monster we have created.

-Diplomat
Old 11-10-2004, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There she was, Diamond Girl. How did I know? It said so, on her blouse, in sequins: DIAMOND GIRL. "Diamond" was on the top line, at a strategic level, so that the first "D" and the second one lined up with the, um, bulleyes. Mighty impressive. Mighty, mighty impressive. Top pair indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it Joanne Carner?