Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2004, 08:37 AM

Default Moral Dillema on PartyPoker

A few months ago, I was playing in a $100 buy-in NL cash game on party and one guy in the room was just moving in preflop literally 80% of the time and rebought for the full $100 about 10 times in the course of 20 minutes.

He claimed to be under the influence of heavy anti-depressants because of the stress he was under due to the death of his wife's newborn infant. I believed the authenticity of his situation because he was able to quickly give the names of the drugs he was taking, as well as refer us to a website with the heartbreaking account of his wife's pregnancy and the tragic death of the fetus.

Some people in the game obviously felt guilty and tried convincing him to stop throwing his money away. I attempted to do this too, but he claimed that gambling on poker was theraputic for him and that the money he was dumping at the table was an amount he could afford to lose.

So I figured if he wants to give away his money, I might as well get the rest of it in a 15/30 heads up match. Our 'competition' lasted about 50 hands before I cleared him out of his $1700. The maniac would cap every street with little to nothing and then when he finally busted, he begged me to transfer him some more money, because his weekly deposity limit was up.

As I took a taxi back to my hotel after my session, I felt a little guilty about taking his money. It felt too easy. If he would have played halfway decently, or at least put up some sort of fight, I would have felt like I earned it. Instead, I felt more like I robbed the guy.

Would you take this guys money after finding out what I've shared with you? At what point would you stop taking his money if party didnt put a cap on the amount he could transfer from his bank account.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Moral Dillema on PartyPoker

[ QUOTE ]
A few months ago, I was playing in a $100 buy-in NL cash game on party and one guy in the room was just moving in preflop literally 80% of the time and rebought for the full $100 about 10 times in the course of 20 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So I figured if he wants to give away his money, I might as well get the rest of it in a 15/30 heads up match. Our 'competition' lasted about 50 hands before I cleared him out of his $1700.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
As I took a taxi back to my hotel after my session, I felt a little guilty about taking his money.

[/ QUOTE ]

And to think that before I read the last part I had almost believed this story.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:12 AM

I was returning from a friend's house in N.Y. to the hotel where my family was staying.

Completely true story btw.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:50 AM

anyone stupid enough to do this deserves the wake-up call of getting busted
Old 11-07-2004, 12:10 PM

Assuming this story is true, I think it was pretty low of you to challenge him to a HU match. If he is truly in crisis, and wants to play to drown his sorrows, I don't see anything wrong with gambling it up with him at a full table, where he is fair game for anyone, and where he can at least try to have his escapism and possibly not lose too much too quickly. But to drag him aside specifically for the purpose of raping him sounds pretty disgusting to me.

Remember...what goes around in this world comes around.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:28 PM

Amen
Old 11-07-2004, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone stupid enough to do this deserves the wake-up call of getting busted

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid people deserve trouble? You would think that they have a hard enough time anyway...
Old 11-07-2004, 12:50 PM

What he said.

Anyone who would stoop to take FURTHER advantage of a situation like that is a scumbag. Plain and simple.

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] busguy
Old 11-07-2004, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So I figured if he wants to give away his money, I might as well get the rest of it in a 15/30 heads up match.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my favorite part. If this guy needs help . . let me REALLY help him. Way too be a good person and look out for the weak.

[ QUOTE ]
I felt more like I robbed the guy

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah . . . that is because you DID rob him.

You sir . . . are a clown and I hope as chesspain says above, that what goes around . . comes around, turns out to be true for you.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
due to the death of his wife's newborn infant.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
heartbreaking account of his wife's pregnancy and the tragic death of the fetus.

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all, a newborn infant is NOT a fetus, he/she is a human being.

secondly, maybe to clear your conscience (what you did was not honorable), you could donate $1700.00 to a charity that helps families going through the death of a child, or one whose purpose is to reduce infant mortality. Ronald McDonald House? any other suggestions posters?

cheers!