Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 02:12 AM

Default Poker in a box - at a truckstop

Not sure if someone has posted about this because I've been traveling.
Thought it was kind of interesting and another indication of poker's popularity (and the continuation thereof).

Driving down from Memphis to New Orleans we stopped at a truck-stop somewhere in Middle-of-nowhere, Mississippi on I-55.
Prominently on display near the cash-register at the front (near the bee's honey pills that are supposed to give you energy) was a Poker-Homegame type thing that was packaged like a regular type board-game.

For $21 you get a little poker-table cover (fake felt or something maybe) as well as instructions on how to play "Real Las Vegas Style Poker" (or something like that) "INCLUDING TEXAS HOLD-EM"
Looked like it also included cards and chips as one would assume.

I couldn't help but laugh....it looked so cheesy. "Just Like Las Vegas!!"

I asked the cashier about it and she said they had just got them within the past couple days and she had already sold a couple of them.

Poker-in-a-box at your local truck-stop.
The big "fad" continues.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Poker in a box - at a truckstop

Just occurred to me when I saw your post that you'd been quiet lately -- the traveling explains that I guess.

I saw last Sunday's paper had on the front page of the comics section a strip where people were playing poker. And it wasn't negative at all. Wow, thought me. I can't ever remember seeing poker in the sunday funnies before. Not that I've been reading them much this year, but never before that I recall.

Then I opened up the weekly t.v. guide that comes with the paper and was scanning around and saw the Smallville show(never watch it but jeez the girls are cute in it -- I've sat stunned by them more than once) had a character in it who can influence people's minds -- even while they play poker.

Looking through the loose ads that spilled out of the center of the paper, I saw poker chips advertised at Home Depot, I think it was.

Dang, this thing is getting incredibly popular.

I just hope we don't see opportunistic politicians seeing it as a cheap and easy target.

By the way, Bob, play any poker while you've been traveling? Bust out any home games? I can hear the music from The Sting playing in the background as he sits down to the table...
Old 11-05-2004, 11:49 AM

Sam's Club is now displaying in their aisles:

Round pedestal table with felt
Wood chip case
WPT 11.5 chips
WPT paper cards

Something like $90 for the boxed set and $450 for the table and boxed set.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:11 PM

WHY
Old 11-15-2004, 03:43 AM

I saw one of these at a mini-mart/truck stop on I-80. Not sure where, exactly.. I drove from Sacramento to Minneapolis back to LA, and all the driving blended together. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Also, someone needs to shoot that "WHY" jackass.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just occurred to me when I saw your post that you'd been quiet lately -- the traveling explains that I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, once he starts posting regularly again, we are going to get sick of that cat's stare. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2004, 04:39 PM

I like my kitty. Sorry her stare bothers you.
Maybe I'll rotate my kitten pics.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, Bob, play any poker while you've been traveling?

[/ QUOTE ]

The two week trip began with the drive to New Orleans with my GF. My birthday is Oct 29 so we had a B-day/Halloween fiesta down there. Halloween in New Orleans is something to behold btw. BRING A CAMERA.

Drove back from New Orleans to Memphis, flew up to Wisconsin, spent a day there, drove my Mom down to Florida, spent a week there (my GF flew in to meet the family as well).

Busy busy busy.

I had a little down time to play some online (including last Thursday's KOTZ) but no time to play live.

Whew, Vacationing is TOUGH!!

I'm hoping to put in mega-hours from now through New Year's to make up for my 2-weeks of minimal-poker.