Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-04-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Did I panic?

I know I am posting a lot of hands, but I am really trying to get a good feel for the game.

Thoughts on both pre-flop and my flop play are greatly apprciated.

Pokerroom $50 Max PLO 9 Handed

hero is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG Limps
UTG +1 (Maniac) Raises to $2
1 Fold
2 Calls
1 Fold
Button Calls
SB Calls
Hero Raises to $12

UTG Folds, 3 Calls, SB Folds.

So we are 5 to the flop for $12 Each pre- flop??????? This was not normal for the table, as I thought my big PFR raise would thin the field.

Stacks before the flop are me with aroun $85, the Maniac has about $50, and the other 3 have about $30 - $40 Each.

I am really worried here becuase my raise totally backfired and now I am playing a big pot multiway out of position.

Flop Comes K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I am first to act and Pot it. The table Folds.

My thinking here, is that this is a big pot and I'm happy to take it, or put someone else to the decision. I ahve the nuts right now, but no good redraws.

I thought if I checked the Maniac might put in a bet, but he would be likely to play low pockets the way he did, and be scared of the big pot with high cards.

So while I am happy to have taken a $50 pot, I wonder if I panicked. Could I have gone for a check raise here? Would taking a free card have hurt me? I was worried about pairing the board, or a second Spade or Club.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Did I panic?

Because you have everyone covered, and you can get them all-in on the flop with a check-raise, I'd go ahead with a check planning to raise (assuming, someone in the field will bet at it).

As it is, if anyone has a set or a straight on this board, chances are pretty good they'll call you when you bet out, as the pot is laying them odds to fill up. Why not let someone with two-pair take a shot at the pot?

If it gets checked through, and the board pairs on the turn, proceed very carefully. I would 1/2 pot it and shut down if called.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:07 PM

He can get them all allin by betting out on the flop.

I think the flop bet is fine. That's a pretty action board and they may well put you on unipmroved aces and call with 2 pair. I hate the preflop reraise. Sure you have a pretty hand but you are in horrible position, and against multiple opponents. Most of the time you are going to find yourself out of position and not knowing what to do on the flop.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the preflop reraise. Sure you have a pretty hand but you are in horrible position, and against multiple opponents. Most of the time you are going to find yourself out of position and not knowing what to do on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The raise was meant to try and isolate against the Maniac. It has been pretty standard at this table to try and isolate him.

I was not very happy to see that many people come along for such a big raise.

if it has just be me against him I wouldn't have been as worried about my position. He had been up to $150 - and all the way down to $10, playing most every flop.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:43 PM

I say check it, especially with a maniac involved. You have to give him a chance to hang himself. With a rainbow flop there are really only 9 cards that will hurt you, so you're something like 4-1 against the board pairing which is your worst case. I say take the chance to try and win a bigger pot.

Obviously if you get to the turn and the board is two flushed, not diamonds, then you need to lead with a bet to prevent a free flush draw against you. But even in that case you don't mind them drawing as they won't be getting the necessary pot odds.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:51 AM

You played it exactly the same way I would have. Omaha High is my weakest game, but my experience in poker has always been to get the money that's out there right now. Slowplaying has its place in Omaha, but it is so likely that someone has at least top two here that getting the money in right away is too important. I think it far outweighs the possible advantage of a check raise. I would expect that in a raised pot you would get action in that spot some 70% of the time. Bet.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:55 AM

Even Maniacs put the brakes on when the warning bells go off. If he got enough of a piece to pot it on that flop, he will certainly call your bet.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:29 AM

I wouldn't re-raise this hand pre-flop. On the flop, go ahead and bet the pot and hope you get called. This isn't a hand I would slow-play, as there are plenty of second-best hands that could pay you off here.