Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 03:27 AM

Default Asking For A Big Personal Favor

Those of you who have the second printing of my Tournament Poker For Advanced Players may have noticed that I dedicated it to my father's (Irving Sklansky) doctor. I called him the best urologist in the country and thanked him for keeping my father's advanced prostrate cancer in check for eight years.

That was three years ago. Six months ago things looked like they had finally caught up with him as the chemotherapy had stopped working and was making him feel terrible. He was ready to give up and stop taking treatment. But Dr. Vitenson would had none of that. He feverishly did the research to come up with an alternative. And he pulled off another miracle. He has brought my dad's PSA from over 300 all the way down to an amazing EIGHT. And with no side effects! I just got that news today. He really is an amazing doctor. He is also astonishingly caring for a man with his stature and his schedule.

Although I have comped Dr. Vitenson to shows when he visits Vegas, that is not nearly enough to show him the gratitude he deserves. But what can you get for someone as succesfull as he is that he couldn't get for himself? Luckily I was in a position to give him something unique by dedicating my book to him.

But with this latest accomplishment I want to do something else. And again I am very lucky to be in a position to do this. But I need your help. What I want do is shower him with thank you cards from all over the country and the world. I am asking the readers of this forum to do me a great favor by writing a letter, a note on a card, or a postcard saying something along the lines of

Dr. Dr Vitenson,

I hear you are a great doctor and I just wanted to think you for the terrific care you have given my poker guru's dad. We need to keep his mind on the game.

Actually I would prefer you use your own words to convey similar sentiments. Feel free to mention my father by name.

I may or may not be able to find out which of you were nice enough to do this for me. If I don't, please accept my heartfelt thanks now. At the very least I will post on these forums the reaction my little scheme produced.

The address is

Dr. Jack Henri Vitenson
Urologic Institute of NJ
331 Summit Ave
Hackensack NJ O7601

Please do not email him. I will be posting this on several forums. Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Asking For A Big Personal Favor

[ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to thank you for the terrific care you have given my poker guru's dad.

[/ QUOTE ]

A tongue-in-cheek sentiment like this needs the appropriate postcard.

Picture Postcard
Old 10-27-2004, 09:47 AM

This is a test to see just how self-centered and greedy we posters are. Will we lift a finger and spend a bit of money to do this favor, or are we here only to suck up information to make us money? Email would be too easy, so that option has been denied.

David, you need to pay us back for this effort, maybe another funny story about your college days. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2004, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dr. Dr Vitenson,

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thats alot of schoolin'.

Tuco.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:00 PM

why be such a jackass?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:28 PM

I know many of you have scoffed at the request, but all of us have gained priceless knowledge about poker from David Sklansky and this site. Mailing a letter in recognition of an exceptional doctor, whether at Sklansky's request, or just to recognize a doctor's successful efforts seems like a relatively easy thing to do.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:04 PM

Glad to hear the good news.I was thinking that I could write something like this in my card. "Dear Dr.Vitenson-I just wanted to take a minute for saving my poker guru's father.You are the greatest urologist ever and it isn't even close.Do you see why?By the way a couple of guys I know who I will simply refer to as 'Minnesota Mike S. and The Devil' wanted me to ask you what if any advances have been made in the penis enlargement field.Thanks again. Dark Force Rising ".
Old 10-27-2004, 05:51 PM

I wasnt scoffin, just pointed out something that was funny to me. Guess it wasnt to you.

I plan on sending a letter, and have learned a great deal form 2+2 books and website.

Tuco.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:54 PM

No Tuco, my post wasn't directed toward your comment per se. Sorry it appeared that way. I just responded, didn't even realize I responded to your post... But yes, I did find your comment funny.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:23 PM

i think that's one of the best posts of the year. good one.