Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 10:09 PM

Default Formula for % chance amt won is consistent with a given winrate

I know the formula for determining RoR and for calculating max win/loss after n hours for a given confidence %. But I'm having trouble trying to go the other way.

A good winrate online is supposed to be 2 BB/hr. with a standard deviation of 15.

After n hours of play a player has a profit/loss of x. What is the formula for computing the % chance that this player is the player above (or at least over the long run has/will have the stats of the player above)?
Old 10-15-2004, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Formula for % chance amt won is consistent with a given winrate

It’s called hypothesis testing in statistics. I don’t remember all the formulas from my stats class but here’s a quick explanation. In hypothesis testing you can’t ever prove anything with absolute certainty you can only disprove things with a degree certainty. In this case for example you pose the hypothesis that your win rate is less than or equal 2BB/hr. You then have to choose a confidence interval of say 99% (the higher the number the more certain you conclusions will be. In your case you would have to run the test several times with different confidence levels until you find the level at where the test results change from fail to prove. A stats major can probably provide the calculations and a little more detail.

Here’s a web site that should be able to help you:
http://davidmlane.com/hyperstat/logic_hypothesis.html