Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 10-10-2004, 07:54 AM

Default ALMOST SHOT A MAN TONIGHT - LITERALLY

I was sitting in my study tonight when I heard something at my front door. I already knew that my family was in bed, so I retrieved my pistol before going to investigate. As I got closer to the foyer I could hear the doorknob jingling. The motion lights were on, so I was sure that someone was trying to get into the house.
I stopped at the doorway into our dining room where I had a clear view of the front door. I cocked my revolver, aimed at the door, and waited. Suddenly this swings open and this guy steps into the house. I hadn’t said anything at this point, and my heart was hammering away like a sewing machine.
I said, “Stop! What are you doing?” I didn’t yell it at him, mostly because I was too nervous to muster anything much louder than a normal tone. He looks around to see where my voice was coming from and when he saw me with a gun aimed at his face he freaked out.
He immediately dropped what looked like a gym bag and threw his hands into the air. He took his eyes off of me, ducked his head, and started bending at his knees to get into a kneeling position. I kept my aim trained on his head. He was saying, “SH*T SH*T DON’T SHOOT! OH GOD DON’T SHOOT, OH SH*T!…” So I said, “Do not move! What in the hell are you doing in my house?” At this point I was both angry and scared at the same time.
He said, “I’m here to stay with Patricia…..my Aunt Patricia…I’m from New York and I’m here for the week.” Of course, there is no Patricia here, and I told him as much. By this time, my wife had awakened and she alerted me to that fact by letting out a shrill yelp. I told her to get the phone and call the police. He continued to insist that he was here to stay with Patricia. Somewhere in there he also mentioned someone named Dan. Then it dawned on me. Dan and Patricia are my neighbors. I told Melanie to call them and ask if they were expecting company.
Dan and Patricia confirmed his story so I lowered my gun. They walked over and he finally stopped hyperventilating long enough for us to figure out what happened. Patricia had mailed him a house key in a letter a few weeks ago. At that time he wasn’t sure exactly when he’d be here, and they wanted to make sure he could get in if they were out of town (they just got back).
So he followed her directions, came to what he thought was her house, put the key in the lock, and turned the knob. Their key unlocks my door and vice versa. We have no idea how we ended up with two doorknobs with matching locks. I’m still trying to figure that one out.
Anyway, I just sat back down and I’m still somewhat shaken. He has no idea (or maybe he does) how close I came to blowing his head off when he walked in the door. His name is Kevin. He ended the night by saying, “Damn! I knew Alabama was going to be different, but I though that I’d at least get my bags unpacked before almost being killed.”
Whew. I’m still shaken. Just thought I’d share this bizarre event with you guys.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Re: ALMOST SHOT A MAN TONIGHT - LITERALLY

I shot an elephant in my pajamas when I was on an African Safari.

How he got in my pajamas I'll never know [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2004, 09:21 AM

Always shoot first, ask questions later. No exceptions.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:31 AM

Dang.. that is scary stuff for both you and him.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:37 AM

you did very well. next time make him immediately get face down and spead eagle. and tell him or you will shoot. it is his responsibility to be in the correct house. get the door closed behind him so no one else can come in during the ordeal.
also dont be too quick to let them in. better to tell them to stand back from the door or you will shoot. plan ahead for next time as it may be the real thing and he may not be submissive.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:47 AM

Default You are an idiot

See what happens when you hide passively in the dark waiting while someone breaks into your house like a big wuss?

You should have said something like "WHO THE HELL IS AT MY DOOR!" very loudly while the guy was still jiggling the door knob trying to get in.

A gun is your last mode of defense. You should have defenses in place, BEFORE your back is against the wall and you are forced to shoot someone.

1) Other people's keys work your doors?
2) Open your mouth. 99% of home invaders aren't going to come in if they know there is someone on the other side of the door aware of their them.
3) If they do come in, yell! holler! command!
4) If all the above fails, then plug an innocent vistor of your neighbor's right in the chest. Since you seem to be the nervous type, you might decide on a shotgun, you don't have to worry about your shaking hand ruining your aim. (Plus if it is a pump, the racking of a shell into the chamber has a real good effect, the sound alone might keep you from having to clean up major blood stains from the carpet.)
Old 10-10-2004, 11:56 AM

Interesting how several responders expected you to shoot first - even after reading your entire post. I probably would have shot as soon as he was in the house, and been upset for the rest of my life that I didn't wait long enough (as you did) to find out that he was an innocent man.

I suppose it's like poker. Sometimes you do what others think is wrong, but things work out for the best. Sleep well.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2004, 12:14 PM

I cant believe everyone on here is so trigger happy. Why the hell didnt you just shout "who is it". What a wuss resorting to waiting in the corner quietly and trembling with a gun. Next time be a man and go see who's at the door.

Mike Emery
Old 10-10-2004, 12:17 PM

yay guns!

-SmileyEH
Old 10-10-2004, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant believe everyone on here is so trigger happy. Why the hell didnt you just shout "who is it". What a wuss resorting to waiting in the corner quietly and trembling with a gun. Next time be a man and go see who's at the door.

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree.

eastbay