Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Common situation -- what do you do

I think I have a leak in my game. I will discuss the leak later, but in the meantime I wanted some feedback on what you do in the following situation:

You are in the bb with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

You have 5 limpers, and the sb completes. You raise. All call. The pot is 11.5 small bets (.5 rake)The flop comes:

T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

What do you do and why?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Common situation -- what do you do

First of all, I don't raise KQo out of the blinds. Same goes for AJo -- but I don't think it's bad, unless it forces you to bet this flop. If raising forces you to bet this flop, then raising is probably wrong.

Check and call one, check and fold two. I highly recommend spiking the J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], in that order.

Rob
Old 11-20-2004, 02:30 PM

I don't usually raise KQo in this situation. If it was sooted - yes, if there were fewer limpers - yes, in this situation - no.

I would check-call. You're not going to win this pot unimproved against 6 players. Being able to draw cheaply is nice. Being able to fold if the action gets heavy on the later streets is nice. Being able to checkraise a LP bet if you hit on the turn is nice.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:32 PM

I might find out I'm totally wrong after you get your first reply.
I don't think I would have raised before the flop there, I would have just checked.
My reasoning, is that if a good flop doesnt come my way, (1)I'm going to have no hand, (2)I'll be in bad position, (3)and my hand wasnt even suited, so I probably wont find a flush(draw) either. If you find yourself in this position with KQs, then raise, get a limper or two to go away.

At least that's how I would usually go after a situation like this.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:33 PM

ok, nevermind, you do have replies already, I guess old MycroftX types slow.......
Old 11-20-2004, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, nevermind, you do have replies already, I guess old MycroftX types slow.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually try to type as superfast as I can when I'm replying to a post. The faster you can reply - the more awesome you are. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sadly, this time monkey-boy beat me to it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2004, 02:50 PM

I definitely wouldn't raise here, but I definitely would if it were a suited hand. I like to raise preflop after a bunch of limps so I can build a pot with a hand that will flop you a lot of weak draws. Without the suitedness, you lose one of your major draws and you have to hope to land TP and have it hold up or catch one of the two straights. After the flop, you're in early position, so I'd check with an intention to call 1 bet with your overcards plus backdoor straight and flush. Being raised here wouldn't be good, so a check-call is probably warranted.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check and call one, check and fold two. I highly recommend spiking the J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], in that order.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice is very sound. I wouldn't play this hand any other way. I considered spiking a K followed by a Q, but it's just too vulnerable. Stick with the J then A.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:18 PM

Default Thanks for the thoughtful replies -- some thoughts

Thanks a lot guys.

This apparently is a leak in my game that I will work on plugging. For a while I have been automatically betting out of the blinds with hands like KQo, AJo, and 99. I found myself in several sticky situations on the flop as a reult. I would bet out trying to get those who missed the flop completely to fold, which has seen only minimal success. Plus, I am effectively manipulating the pot odds against myself, especially against several opponents.

My reasoning for doing this is, I hope, obvious: I am expoiting the pot equity edge that I have. However, it might be better to forgoe this edge preflop for the flexibility it give you on later streets.

I feel a poker revelation coming on! I would appreciate further thoughts or comments. Everyone's commentary has been very helpful.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:15 PM

Agree. You're post got me thinking about the pre-flop raise with KQ, though. I may start another thread.