Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 12:34 AM

Default Re: I\'m bored with $0.50/$1 talk me out of going to 1/2

Yeah, multitabling is something you probably want to ease into. I was nervous when I first started doing it, but now I can't imagine not multitabling. Start with two and go from there. When you are ready for four you might want to take some of the money you made bonus whoring (see previous posts in this thread) and invest $200 in a CRT monitor with 1600x1200 resolution, which is what you need to have four tables with no overlap. (You can go to Bestbuy or some similar electronics store.)
Old 11-19-2004, 12:34 AM

Only have a couple of hands on you in my DB but they seem pretty good go me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2004, 02:28 AM

as a player in the same situation i'm going to advise you to move up. i did when my roll was at $450 (starting roll was 100) recently made the move (as of last week) and the bigger pots actually make you look at your game a little harder, make you tighten up weaks spots in it so you don't leak money that should be staying in your pocket. of course i got crazy lucky and have had a huge run, (upto $650 now after 4 days of playing 1-2 at about 3 hours average a day, expecting the downswing anytime now)

if you are bored with .50/1 then i do reccomend moving up, it'll help your play (assuming you let it)
Old 11-19-2004, 03:55 AM

The 1/2 and 2/4 games are just not that hard. You won't get quite as many VPIP80+ folks on them, but you will still find TONS of awful, bad, and mediocre players. Here's a couple of hands from tonight:

Hero is in the SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG+2 is LAG
MP2 is TAG

Preflop: fold to UTG+2 who bets, fold to MP2 who raises, fold to Hero who 3bets, UTG+2 calls, MP2 caps. All call.

Flop: 12.5 SB 3 players 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets, UTG+2 calls, MP2 raises, Hero 3bets, UTG calls, MP2 caps. All call.

Turn: 12.25BB 3 players: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets, UTG+2 raises, MP2 3bets, Hero caps, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

River: 24.75BB 3 players 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets, UTG+2 raises, MP2 folds, Hero 3bets, UTG+2 caps, Hero calls.

Final pot: 31.5BB between Hero and UTG.

Villain turns over A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

or, another hand from this evening:

UTG is very loose, aggressive preflop.
MP3 is slightly loose, normal aggression.

Hero is in BB with a mighty 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Preflop: UTG bets, fold to MP3 who calls, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop 3 players, 3.5SB 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Turn 3 players 3.25BB 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

River 3 players 6.25BB A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets, UTG raises, MP3 folds, Hero 3 bets, Villain calls.

11.25BB between Hero and UTG.

UTG turns over A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hands like this are just not that uncommon. If you've got a decent bankroll and you are consistently beating the 0.5/1.0 game, seriously consider moving up. There are more decent players at these levels than at 0.5/1.0, but there are still more than enough VERY poor players to make up for the the reduction in expected win rate.

If you are usually the best player at a table at 0.5/1.0, you are likely going to be the best player at a table at 1/2.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:36 AM

If you are bored of 50c/$1 then have a break from poker.

Dont stupidly move up with a small BR just so you can experience something different go play some MTT if you need something different.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:17 AM

multitable.

being bored is not a sufficient excuse. you have to understand the texture of the game.

Pete H.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:23 AM

The problem might be that you are bored with poker, not the limit you're playing. Losing your money when you move up when you're not ready certainly isn't boring but is it worth it?

If you're bored because you're great player playing below your level you should move up with a mraginal bankroll.

If you're bored because you're not really analyzing your game and the game of others as you play you need to concentrate more on what your decisions mean. Are you just waiting around for monsters and playing them on auto-pilot or are you working hard to squeeze every last penny out of the tables you're playing by looking hard to recognize every profitable situation and the weaknesses in the other players? You should be taking notes on your opponents, using poker trackers in game window etc...

If you are not able to play two tables at once, why not? Is it because you have to think too long to make decisions? If so you probably need to gain a little more experience. Playing poker expertly is not easy regardless of the competition. I'm guessing if you're finding it easy you're running hot and not exploiting margnally profitable situations.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:46 AM

I'm sure that it has been said many times, but 10K hands is a drop in the bucket. You could easily be a bad player who has had a good run.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:59 PM

I'm with PokerBob on this one. You are very possibly on a run. To summarize/paraphrase the parts of the thread that I agree with:

1) Go ahead and try $1/$2 -- you've got the backroll to do it -- but be prepared to reassess if you lose $100.

2) Boredom is not a good reason to increase your limits.

3) Multi-tabling can be interesting, but as a cure for bordom, it's no substitute for trying to improve your understanding of the "texture of the game" as someone else put it.

(I take "texture of the game" to mean really thinking about how to maximize your play in various situations. That's not meant as a slam on those who multi-table AND have a good understanding of the texture. I'm at that point myself -- having experienced a couple of runs and reversals -- and I'm never bored even at the .5/1 tables.)

Good luck at the one-twos!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:18 PM

Just multiply all the values on the table by 10.

Now you are playing 5/10 limit.