Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 01:43 PM

Default One more hand: medium pocket pair

I hate it when people post hands that they lose. I am one of those people so I guess I hate myself, but I think we gain a lot out of learning from our mistakes. But anyway, enough of the ramble on to the hand.

PP .5/1
EP3 calls. I get dealt 99 in MP1, I raise. CO cold-calls and EP calls. Blinds folded, 3 handed to the flop, 6.5 SB in the pot.
Flop is 6 K 9 rainbow.
Checked to me. I bet, everyone calls.
Turn is a Q, putting 2 hearts on the board. Checked to me, I bet, CO calls, EP raises, I re-raise, CO calls, EP caps, I call, CO calls.
River is an offsuit J, making the board 6 K 9 Q J.
EP checks, I check, CO checks.
What do you think of my turn 3-bet. Once he caps I knew I was behind but was hard to place him on a hand. What do you think of my play? What do you think his hand was (looking back at it, I think its kind of obvious)
I know I cant fold to the cap, I still have outs and stuff so was my play right?

Suggestions, comments, please
Old 11-15-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Re: One more hand: medium pocket pair

Not sure if you can assume you're behind when he caps, maybe he hit 2 pair with the queen. Or maybe he slow played 2 pair on the flop. Plus it's hard for him to put you on trip 9s, maybe he though you had AK. If the J doesn't come on the river I might bet and if he still raises then just call.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:30 PM

I like this on all streets, with the river check, I think EP is on two-pair more often than not, but with 4 to a straight there, I probably check it down. (Though betting/calling or betting/folding is probably better depending on your read of your opponents.)

-d
Old 11-15-2004, 02:55 PM

I think your play was correct. My guess is that your opponent was holding a JT, and successfully hit the gutshot. You still played it well. You have to protect your set of nines by raising on the flop, and you had 10 outs going into the river while your opponnent had none. So what if he beat you with the straight (my guess). You can have the satisfaction that he shortchanged himself by not betting on the river. You made him pay for his win. Have a laugh and pat yourself on the back.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:12 PM

fine. great that it got checked around on the river.

you have outs for the full house... only hand that scares you at the moment is *exactly* JT.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:18 PM

i really want to bet that river, but I wouldn't unless I could fold to a raise with confidence.

it looks like he has JT on the turn, but that river check is incredibly weak.. so perhaps he has an aggressive turned two pair. he could have a slowplayed 66 which is now scared for the 4-straight.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of my turn 3-bet. Once he caps I knew I was behind but was hard to place him on a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the turn, it was 6K9Q. You have a set of 9s. What do you mean that you knew you were behind and you couldn't place him on a hand?

You did what you could. Checking behind on the river is a good play if you can't get yourself to fold a set on the river to a check-raise from EP (that is, if he's agressive enough to check-raise the river without the straight). If you don't know, checking is okay.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:21 PM

I play this the same way (except, as others have noted, I bet the river if I have a decent read on EP -- otherwise I check behind just like you did).

Well done.