Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Averages, ROI, Moving Up, etc.

2+2,

First I would like to begin my post by apologizing for what is likely to be an annoyingly common question(s). I did a little searching but I wasn't that successful. Direct responses OR links to threads are both welcome and much appreciated.

I played my first hand of texas hold'em (and first hand of poker) 2 months ago. As a math graduate I was never the gambling type... I can't enjoy blackjack or slots because of the fact that simply being dealt cards is -EV.

In the last 2 months I've played about 200 or so $10+1 SNGs at party averaging about 4-5$ net profit per SNG. I'm either experiencing winners luck or I've got something of a nack for at least these low limit tables. (I read, reread and, rereread WLLTH by lee jones and THFAP by 2+2 before playing poker a second time).

My questions:

a) How long did it take you/does it normally take to become a winning player?

b) What are some average ROI %, net profit, etc for the varying limits at Party SNGs for top players... in other words the highest realistic figures for the varying limits.

c) Any advice on when is a good time to move up? Maybe a key ROI or ITM% that may suggest that it's time to try to move up? I'd like to move up to $30+3 and I don't have a desire to move up further. Would it make sense to maybe play 1 $10 game and 1 $30 game to 'feather in' the $30s?

d) I hear 20x buyin is a safe bankroll to try a limit... in other words... if you flush 20x buyin you're not ready... if you are ready you'll survive the very short term variance.. Do you agree?

e) For those that play $10+1 a lot.. say 10+ tourneys a day... how much are you cashing out per week?

I'd love to somehow suppliment my income in a semi-signifigant but realistic fashion...I have time to play about 100 tournaments a week.

I guess I'm trying to get an idea on realistic bounds for various limits and the distribution of difficulty moving up both within a limit and amoung limits.