Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Pentium 4 vs. AMD 64

[ QUOTE ]
MSI has ... stability in my history with them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. Loved their K7 board. Still running after 5 yrs. 24/7 ...

Server or workstation, it doesn't matter. I always look at bang for the buck. Always look for reviews on the main board -- you should find plenty. If the manual doesn't have phone/address/web contact -- don't buy it. If the web doesn't offer drivers, don't buy it. There's only $20-$40 difference between near top-of-the-line and absolute junk.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:12 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

I couldn't get your link to work, but here's my 2-cents:

I'm self-taught on how to build systems. I learned by doing upgrades over time. First some RAM, then a CD-burner, then a hard drive, then a cpu, etc. Eventually I had done all the pieces and could build the whole system. Now I toy with mild overclocking and modding, nothing too crazy though.

I hate all those big system builders with a passion. HP and Compaq are HORRIBLE. They use terrible quality components. Same with Dell, I can't stand them either, although they can undercut the competition so much because they purchase in bulk.

A lot of the major system builders also have systems that use proprietery parts, making it difficult for you to upgrade or replace components without going through them.

I can't vouch for the various system builders out there, because I haven't tried them, I just go to Newegg.com or Ebay and get all the parts myself. Wish you the best, whichever route you go.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:34 PM

I'm not sure why I can't edit the post I made 20 minutes ago, but whatever. This is the link HERE

If I had the time or the technical inclination, I would build my own computer. I have one done minor upgrades with the help of instruction manuals. I'm thinking that a graphics card will be upgraded simple enough since this one claims to have a PCI-E bay. I don't know whether these types of systems can handle upgrades to CPU's, and I haven't been able to find out what motherboard this has and what it can support. I would like to be able to upgrade the CPU in the future. I have gone through so many computers in the past that it isn't even funny.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:43 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

The components look good for the price, but again, not a big fan of HP. Don't have enough experience with the PCI technology yet either. I'm still on AGP, since there's little difference right now between the two techs.

As far as I can tell, the PCI slot should be able to support a graphics card in the future.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:27 AM

Those name brand computers are notoriously difficult to upgrade ... and you’re talking about buying something with a “crappy” video card ...

Newegg.com is ok. Personally, I’ve been buying from Monarch Computer for years and am very happy with their prices and service. Their techs do great work on custom builds but it does take a while, typically a week or two.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:47 AM

I checked out Monarch's website, but it looks like what they sell is out of my price range.

I'm not too concerned with upgrading the video card, it seems to me like it could be done pretty easily. I am more concerned with upgrading the rest of the things, since I can't find any info on the motherboards for those big name computers. I have also read that you can't overclock those cpu's, is this true? I have never done that before, since I have never owned a computer that was actually capable of running the newest games, but if I get a new computer, it may be an option in the future.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I checked out Monarch's website, but it looks like what they sell is out of my price range.

I'm not too concerned with upgrading the video card, it seems to me like it could be done pretty easily. I am more concerned with upgrading the rest of the things, since I can't find any info on the motherboards for those big name computers. I have also read that you can't overclock those cpu's, is this true? I have never done that before, since I have never owned a computer that was actually capable of running the newest games, but if I get a new computer, it may be an option in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually the mobo's from vendors like HP, Dell, etc. do not feature the ability to overclock. They have enough trouble dealing with the general computer-illiterate public, without having to contend with additional issues that their customers encounter.

You should be able to get a mid-range system for under a grand, depending on your needs and wants. But, that's building it yourself. I live in Mass, otherwise I could help ya out if we lived closer together.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:16 AM

FWIW, I usually buy from ibuypower. They're roughly the same as CyberPowerPC, but I've had zero problems with their customer service.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:33 AM

I second everything GrandGnu said.

Also the system you linked to appears to be a pretty good deal, though at the same time I tend to prefer self-built systems, or even systems built by local stores, as opposed to systems that are mass produced, though you will pay more for locally built/self built systems. If I'm not mistaken HP uses (sometimes/always?) ASUS boards, which rank high in quality and according to the specs its very upgradable in terms of adding a pci-x vid card and more ram at a later date.

The processor itself is of the Socket 939 variety, which is top of the line for what AMD is putting out right now, so in the future you will be able to upgrade your cpu to, say, an FX-57, or even a Athlonx2 4800+, though what tends to happen is that in the future you buy a totally new cpu/mobo combo, if not an entirely new system.

In terms of your cpu in relation to your OS you will also be ready to upgrade to Windows Vista, a 64bit OS, that is scheduled to be release late next year.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:51 PM

Thank you all for all the valuable input. Another ( [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]) question: how much of a performance drop can I expect with a shared memory card like the ATI Xpress 200? I will probably upgrade it sometime, but I would prefer it be later than sooner. Just as an example, do you think I would be able to run Quake 4 on a 3700+ with an Xpress 200 comfortably?