Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2001, 09:31 AM

Default In the Name of God

Fatwa. Holy War. The Crusades. Witch trials. The Spanish Inquisition. Terrorism in the name of Allah.

How many great evils have been committed throughout human history in the name of God?

When, if ever, will the human race learn?
Old 09-12-2001, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Irony

I'm happy this topic came up. I had a public meeting thing I am supposed to attend cancelled last night, which I thought was appropriate. But when I got the call it came with the additional invitation to a local prayer vigil over what happened. I instantly saw the irony, but I don't think many around here did. It's also something you can't really bring up with the people who get into that kind of thing. I spent the evening watching news and checking the internet and having a couple of Scotches instead. The news coverage of the vigil made me even happier I did.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:17 AM

Default Re: In the Name of God

"How many great evils have been committed throughout human history in the name of God? "

God is not the problem. "God" is just a good rallying point that fanatics call upon to further their own goals. Hitler used "The fatherland" as his rallying point. That selfish humans will do evil to other humans is the problem. Always has been.

Vince
Old 09-12-2001, 11:31 AM

I was disappointed to hear Bush quote the Bible to the effect that God is on our side. I hate the song God Bless America. Let's do the right thing without feeling we're right because God makes us right. It's a dangerous attitude, as you correctly point out.
Old 09-13-2001, 01:44 PM

Its just a tool. People kill other people because they think their way is better. That is a tool. It can be used for good (rallying and comforting people) or it can be used for evil (destroying and subjugating people). It ultimately falls on the responsibility of the people to use it wisely.

Zach
Old 09-13-2001, 02:38 PM

Default I\'m sure \"Allah\" was upon their lips...

...as the planes struck. Nothing scares me like a true believer.
Old 09-13-2001, 04:50 PM

Default Re: I\'m sure \"Allah\" was upon their lips...

Nothing scares me like people who think their belief system is the only truly right one...
Old 09-13-2001, 05:35 PM

Perhaps moderation is the key. Too much religion,Too much gambling,alcohol,work,exercise,food, of anything dont do anyone any good.