Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2003, 01:21 AM

Default Bad beat worth my entry fee.

This was great. I was in 4th on single table s&g. Top 3 paid. Dealt (9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) on big blind. UTG folds, button calls, SB folds. Flop is (9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]). Been a bad beat day, so I decide to check and call, and watch for the flush (though I'd still call then, given my low chip stack). Sure enough, button bets 200, I call. Turn is (6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]). Don't care 'bout no flush now, I got my boat. Still, guy on button is aggressive. I check. He bets 200, I raise all-in, he calls with (9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]). My boat is bigger! Until the river is the (6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]), of course. Busted to quads. No one mis-played (I don't think I did...He'd have called my all-in with top two pair on flop, he easily out-chipped me), and I lost to the 2 outs-both needed runner runner. Punched it in www.twodimes.net and found I was a 990-1 favorite after flop. This bad beat was worth my $5.50 entry fee simply because, odds-wise, I don't think there can be a worse one. So what I'm wonderin', all you math-whizzes, is is there any hand that can be a greater than 990-1 favorite after flop and yet not be a sure thing?