Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2004, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Party SNGs still tearing me apart

You must play them exactly the way i do then, couldn't agree more.

Regards ML
Old 05-17-2004, 01:59 PM

I don't know where you are finding these tables at Party where people never raise with AQ, AJ, or suited ace-anything, but you can make a lot of money by punishing hands like that.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:09 PM

thanks for the advice so far. And these weren't *bad beat* stories these were the last 10 knockouts, none were added from earlier tournaments none were taken out cause I did something REALLY stupid. These are just a snapshot of how I lost my last 10.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:14 PM

Other than the hand you flopped 3 Jacks, I didn't see any big errors on your part, and even that wasn't horrible.

This leads me to conclude that either your sample is too small and your results will improve, or you have a leak somewhere else.

Let's look at your stack sizes from when you went out in 4th or 5th...
775, 980, 770, 1550, 775, 1200

With 5 people, the average stack will be 1600. You didn't have that much in any example where you made it to the bubble (4th or 5th place). It's hard to steal blinds with 775 when the blinds are 100/200.

Once you are shortstacked with high blinds, even perfect play may not save you.

You need to look at how you got shortstacked in the first place. You always seem to go out with a very good hand....and that leads me to believe that you are waiting for very good hands. That's fine to a point, but you cannot let yourself get down to 775 and expect AK to save you.

Of course, I can't say exactly how to win a lot of chips, but you may want to look playing more aggressively sooner rather than later.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:03 PM

Hi,

I'm a winning 10+1 NLHE SNG player also. Let me echo what has been said yet disagree slightly.

You should almost never be reraising or getting it all in if its raised ahead of you unless you hold aa/kk. Not because AK is weak or the other guy could be doing it with AQ or worse, but because you can only LOSE the SnG when its 6 handed.

Do not play marginal hands till you have to. There are a good 40-50 hands before you can actually win the SnG or everyone else is getting deperate so marginal calls are ok.

Do change your raising standards once you get to 4-5 handed.

Do NOT call raises when it gets down to 4-5 handed. Your AKs maybe the best hand, but how are you going to play it if the flop doesn't hit you? Your making a bet that will cost you the whole tournament with no real gain. Why be the one to make the decision? Raise or Fold.

Pushing in over the top preflop will always get called when its 4 handed and you will almost always be destined for a show down. So pick your hands very carefully. Don't fall into the classic wishfull thinking trap. Your 44 is never really ahead unless the other guy is an idiot and it rarely improves. Your AQ is likely to dominate their hand and if it doesnt, it is more likely to improve. Your A7 is almost always dominated and if it isn't your only 60:40 don't be calling raises or all ins with weak aces.

You need to change your raising standards when it gets short handed you need to get lose preflop and tight post flop because if you get called post flop your going to have to see a showdown.

Finally, the most important skill is player reading. You need to learn who is a muppet, who is a rock, and who is skillfull all before you get to the bubble. If you get to the bubble and your still playing the cards your going to have to hit some big hands to win.

This is likely why you win at Pokerstars, but not at Party. You are making marginal bets to early and at party they call anyways, at pokerstars they are more likely to fold due to them being a lot tighter. You are not adjusting your game to each player in the hand. There are people who I will fold my TPTK hands when they raise me back and others I will push in over the top of them.

Let me repeat. The play at Party SnG 10+1 is loose, so you should focus on getting down to 5 before you start taking chances if you have a healthy stack. The will be taking each other out and cripling themselves. The SnG is never won before the bubble, so focus on maintaing a healthy stack as it only takes 1-2 hands to win or lose the SnG.

MarkV.