Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Re: (near) winner take all sngs\'

Since I am not currently playing on Party, I have no comment.

I replied simply to note that I wish I had been bright enough to think up "MadSci". Wonderful Nym.

Doc
Old 02-14-2004, 01:30 AM

Default response to AleoMagus:

[ QUOTE ]
... Sometimes if you play a much better game than your opposition, taking any edge can often mean passing up the possibility of outplaying players later.

When you consider that so many Party fish have such bad shorthanded games, it is often correct to survive in order to give yourself the best chance to face their weakest game (or perhaps show them your strongest game).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. In fact, this seems to be why I do better in sng than elsewhere, because the vast majority of players are EITHER too loose early or too passive late.

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, if you just plan on playing these qualifiers until you win, then I'd still take any edge because then it becomes more like reloading in a ring game. Survival isn't important because you can always get in another. Sooner or later, if you are getting your money in with the best of it, you will double or triple up and have an even better opportunity to take advantage of the weaknesses I mentioned earlier.

Is it only top two that get paid? I thought third gets another qualifier entry also. Of course I have never played one so I might be wrong.

Regards,
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much, Brad, the more aggressive strategy makes sense to me now. (And yes, they only pay top 2.)
Old 02-14-2004, 01:34 AM

Default Teh Nym Gym

[ QUOTE ]
Since I am not currently playing on Party, I have no comment.

I replied simply to note that I wish I had been bright enough to think up "MadSci". Wonderful Nym.

Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! People say I look (and sometimes think) like a mad scientist. I take it as acompliment. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]