Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: $215s - Bubble Spot I Hated

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't understand why this breakdown matters. The way I see it, all that matters is how often my hand will win against his range. Why worry about never being a 60% favorite when all the 54-46 edges will add up in the long long run anyway?
Calling with KTo because you have a higher win% against his range than you do with A4o makes sense to me. Calling with it because you're more likely to be further ahead...doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you should care about being a 60% favorite some of the time is that in order to have an edge against his range, you need to have that edge to make up for all the times that he's way ahead (better aces and big/medium pairs). If you could safely say that you're a 54% favorite over every hand he's pushing, it would be fine. But clearly, this isn't the case.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:29 PM

I think I'd fold it here
Old 07-22-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I still don't understand why this breakdown matters. The way I see it, all that matters is how often my hand will win against his range. Why worry about never being a 60% favorite when all the 54-46 edges will add up in the long long run anyway?
Calling with KTo because you have a higher win% against his range than you do with A4o makes sense to me. Calling with it because you're more likely to be further ahead...doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ilya, you already know that KTs is going to do better than A4o against his push range.

I was trying to explain why the weak ace is such a bad calling hand. Everybody knows that A4 is favored against KTs. Every SNG pro knows that KTs will do far better than A4o against a pusher. A few SNG pros understand that even 9-7s will do better than A4. But this is counterintuitive, so I thought I would comment conceptually about why the weak ace blows so bad. You can't use Eastbay's PT while you're 8-tabling and action is to you on the bubble... but you might remember this thread.

Irieguy
Old 07-23-2005, 12:12 AM

Why does the 97s do better then A4o? If hes tight you would think 97 is dominated more then A4.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ilya, you already know that KTs is going to do better than A4o against his push range.

I was trying to explain why the weak ace is such a bad calling hand. Everybody knows that A4 is favored against KTs. Every SNG pro knows that KTs will do far better than A4o against a pusher. A few SNG pros understand that even 9-7s will do better than A4. But this is counterintuitive, so I thought I would comment conceptually about why the weak ace blows so bad. You can't use Eastbay's PT while you're 8-tabling and action is to you on the bubble... but you might remember this thread.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes perfect sense. Sorry if I sounded a little confrontational, I was just confused.

I
Old 07-23-2005, 11:08 PM

I disagree a bit. Obviously, it's about how much you're ahead or behind, but it's really about ranges, and how well you fare against certain ranges.

There is no way I'm ever calling 97s here. I think you can easily call A4 if opponent's pushing range is very, very wide. A4 gets a lot better as opponent's range gets wider.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:11 PM

well, i havent read the 230958093285023 responses, but i would imagine it would say, this is an easy fold.. if hes super tight, A4 isnt ahead of much, and i would push ANY 2 utg on this so called super tight bb. holla