Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2004, 08:33 AM

Default My Girlfriend and her Traps

My girlfriends and my idea of how to play certain hands differ greatly. When I have a good starting hand, I like to play it strong, and unless it's nearly bulletproof, play it strong postflop and on. She is big into trapping, and, in my opinion, she does it with hands that aren't strong enough to slowplay. For example, I was watching her play on Royal Vegas Poker tonight with dreams of turning our 10 dollar free signup bonus into a luxourious hot air balloon trip around the equator.
.10-.25 no limit.
Had 17 dollars when dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the small blind. 2 early pos. callers, the button raises up to 1 dollar. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Terrified, we yank the power plug from the wall, lock all our doors and shiver in fear under our bed for 1 week...jk. She raises it up 1 dollar. Does anyone else feel that's too small a raise? Sometimes she just calls to trap, but I can't agree with that, I ALMOST always raise. 1 folds, 2 call her small raise.
Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] She's first to act and I cringe when I see her bet 1.50 into a 6.75 pot. Now, I would go ahead and bet stronger then that, figuring I have the best hand. Both players call.
The turn was a 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Now she presses it and bets 6.00, one of the early position callers raises it 6.00 and she raises a couple dollars all in and he shows A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Now, I like to raise more preflop, and Bet the flop against 2 callers. She enjoys the thrill of the trap, cackeling and rubbing her hands together as the sucker at the table bets it all into her full boat she just checked. This, I feel is fun to watch, and it's nice when it works, but I HATE HATE HATE losing pots that I would have won had I not let the slimeys catch up to me. In this particular hand, she felt her hand was good enough to slowplay...I said that KK is too vulnerable and not nearly powerful enought to slowplay. Any A on turn will destroy your hand. Then she called me a wimpy little boy for living in fear of a 3 outter. Then I said, I'm not a wimp, your dumb! Then she slapped me, and then we embraced and loved eachother throughout the long, cold night.
Am I too tight of a player? I don't like to give free cards, and I don't feel kings are invincible. Would anyone else slowplay this? Comments?