Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Poosh/call/what? situations, what would you do?

[ QUOTE ]
1) Hero minraises and then pushes when the flop is checked to him. Risky? Yeah, but I still think you've FE on the flop if BB calls, and if he pushes preflop you've probably induced a favorable bluff to call. If SB calls, same deal. If SB pushes, probably have to call. All of your chips are going in the pot in any case, but the minraise might be a way to get them in there with as many others and still maintain almost the same probability of winning the pot without a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is going to flame me for this?

SlimP
Old 06-20-2005, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Poosh/call/what? situations, what would you do?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3. Stop and go (I've been having a lot of success doing this lately)

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot will be 1515 and button will only have to call 390. Can't really see it working here...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen players fold getting 6:1 preflop on Party 22s. Just because you know a call is automatic doesn't mean your opponent does. You have SOME fold equity here -- even if it's just missclick fold equity.

And those who say fold and push later might not play many low stakes games. Players are very active at these levels and it is likely there will be limpers and mini-raisers in the next few hands causing you to lose your chance to push. Even if you do get one clean push and go uncalled, it isn't enough. You can't afford to just maintain your stack at this stage. When the blinds go up, you've all but lost FE.

Furthermore, if you try to rebuild your stack by pushing when you're down to 4 BBs, you're going to have to do a LOT of pushing, which to these players equates to insulting their manhood, so there will be spite calls.

Whether you want to or not, you're going to have to race to get back into this tournament, be it calling here or pushing into a 40/60 later. I'd rather just stop and go while I'm probably the favorite -- even if I'm just a small one.