Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2002, 05:02 AM

Default swings

i just want to now what swings other players consider as "normal" in the 3/6 or 5/10 5 player holdem PP games ???

like i had ups and downs of 100 BB in like 4 hours and i consider myself apart from steaming sessions as a quiete coservative player
Old 07-12-2002, 10:16 AM

Default Re: swings

I posted a similar message two weeks ago. Being a "conservative" player at shorthanded is a quick way to be at negative EV(Lol Ask WillyG!!). But if you mean you are thinking every hand and not betting in those marginal situations, than don't worry 100BB is not a sure indication of being outplayed.

However, consider whether you are being outplayed can you spot the weakest player at the table if not it may be you.

There are wild tables where the swings are huge i.e. (3 -4 people capping it preflop and none of them has a big pocket pair or AJ - AK) and those unless you really tighten up(hard to do in shorhanded) your swings could be enourmous.

But watch out if you see a lot of players at the table constantly raising pre-flop and then betting the flop or raising, BUT slowing down on the turn or river then watch out, they are going to be hard to read, and may be excellent players.

A lesson I have trouble following is if you lose lets say (20-50BB) at a table, unless you can spot one or 2 fishes at the table and you know its a wild profitable table LEAVE, after losing that much its too easy to go on tilt, if they see you losing the other players may try to run over you and/or you may be getting outplayed.