Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Thoughts on 8-tabling

Ok so I'm setup to 8-table...got the huge 1600X1200 Dell Monitor for my desktop and a laptop w/ a massive screen linked up w/ MaxiVista.

I tried this once before w/ disasterous results, but I had two slow comps and all kinds of overlap...and i had to use two mice/keyboards etc.

I tried a few sets of five last night and a couple 6 tables. Smooth sailing. I'm about to give eight a shot (hopefully repeatedly) and thought I'd toss the concept out there for all you seasoned multi-monitor pro's.

The one adjustment that I noticed, which I kinda like, is the fact that in late-tourney there isn't really time to watch to see what happens on a push-steal or a call. You kinda just have to make decisions and then move on.

What other tips and trick are there?

Also how detrimental is this to ROI?

And are you constantly assessing your chip stacks and the blinds when you look at a table? This seems to be the only way to keep a good handle on it all.

Any thoughts whatsoever on multi-monitoring and 5+ tabling welcome.

Andre
Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on 8-tabling

I think you're going to have to comb through the replies very carefully to find what fits your situation, because people will be describing what works for them or doesn't, and that is extremely subjective. As in, it will effect some people's ROI more than others -- and many will just guess how much it affects their ROI without extensive testing.

As for tips and tricks? Keep nearby something to wear in case you get cold, like a sweater or socks or whatever, something to drink, and most importantly something to pee in. Sooner or later, you'll need one.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and most importantly something to pee in

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks man. Guess i should add that i do them in sets. This wont matter all that much. I've tried constantly adding but i do horrible...i make loose calls in the early ones and forget to steal in the late ones.

Andre
Old 04-27-2005, 11:31 PM

I dont think I could 8-table SnG's. I can 8-table full limit ring games, but NL seems like it would be too fast to keep up with when it gets to be 6 players or so.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:52 PM

As long as you play a number of tables you are comfortable with, I don't see how it could hurt ROI much.

Did you try 6 with always 6 running? 8 in sets isn't any worse so you'd be halfway there (always having 8 running should be your goal, playing in sets is like giving away free money).
Old 04-28-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as you play a number of tables you are comfortable with, I don't see how it could hurt ROI much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid mistakes, not being able to analyze the stacks, play, action, tempo as much. Then I think the biggest one is when you are ITM on five tables and don't maximize your earnings there w/ optimal play.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you try 6 with always 6 running?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I do them all in sets.

[ QUOTE ]
playing in sets is like giving away free money).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you or anybody else could provide some insight on how to do this without playing sub-optimal poker i'd love to hear it. I've tried this on many occasions and it always results on me being pissed at myself for playing poorly. As i said before, IMO, this leads to looser calls early on and missing opportunities to steal late.

Andre
Old 04-28-2005, 12:49 AM

You might want to try playing 6 continuously before you try 8 in sets. Once you can handle that then give 8 a shot.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:56 AM

lol i guess i am not being clear enuff

i can't even 4-table continuously...but if the past two nights are a correct indication, playing 6-8 tables in sets is a breeze.

The problem i am having is dealing with playing games at different levels, not with juggling all the tables.

Anybody have any suggestions for making the switch from continuous to sets?

Andre
Old 04-28-2005, 02:49 AM

I think you will find that it becomes substantially easier with a bit of experience. When I started 8-tabling, I was overwhelmed and could not even really keep up. Now I can 8-table, read 2+2, and watch TV. As soon as I get another monitor, I am going to try for more tables.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:05 AM

Level 1 (10/15), 800 Chips. ATo on the button. Folded to you, what do you do?

Level 6 (150/300), 800 Chips. ATo on the button. Folded to you, what do you do?

If you can answer both of those, then I don't see why you can't play continuously. Just slow down before clicking the "fold" or "raise" button for long enough to digest the situation. I have had to slow myself down when 8-tabling (seems counter intuitive, huh?) many times, to make sure I properly take in all of the available info before making the decision. You really have plenty of time.

I suggest playing continuously at 4 tables, then 6 tables, etc, to get used to it.