Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2004, 02:00 PM

Default What Will Kerry Do to Facilitate Peace in Israel?

Go to the United Nations [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]?

To be fair I went to the Kerry web site and this all I could find:

John Kerry believes that American absence from the Middle East Peace Process at senior levels, except for the occasional drop-by, has risked security for the US as well as states in the region. The recent effort by former officials of Israel and the Palestinian Authority to lay out a possible agreement on final status issues is an opportunity which must be seized and built upon. To demonstrate his commitment, John Kerry would:
• Appoint A Presidential Envoy For The Middle East Peace Process. Recognizing the relationship between the Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process and combating international terrorism, Kerry will appoint a respected, senior-level Presidential Envoy to the Middle East Peace Process. The Envoy will report directly to the President and the Secretary of State and will be responsible for moving the Peace Process forward.

So apparently Kerry actually will eschew using his beloved UN in trying to negotiate a peace agreement between Israel and the Palestinians. Instead he will appoint an Envoy to as Kerry puts it, "move the Peace Process forward." Sounds like he plans to appoint Michael J. Milquetoast as his envoy.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: What Will Kerry Do to Facilitate Peace in Israel?

personally, when it comes to foreign policy, I'd rather keep bush (and daddy bush) in the whitehouse instead of kerry and his "apppointee." I know daddy bush is no idiot and has extensive experience in world affairs, and surely he's advising junior. not that I'm pro repub or anything but in these times I prefer a real pair of balls in the whitehouse and I am not convinced kerry has a pair.

al
Old 03-22-2004, 02:51 PM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

[ QUOTE ]
personally, when it comes to foreign policy, I'd rather keep bush (and daddy bush) in the whitehouse instead of kerry and his "apppointee." I know daddy bush is no idiot and has extensive experience in world affairs, and surely he's advising junior. not that I'm pro repub or anything but in these times I prefer a real pair of balls in the whitehouse and I am not convinced kerry has a pair.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Al.

The Democrats can't help in the Middle East. All the summits by Carter and Clinton just gave the terrorists the idea that they can continue terror and blame Israel for any lack of progress. That won't happen in my administration. We fight terrorists.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:55 PM

The first Camp David summit involving Carter, Begin, and Sadat produced a peace between Israel and its most implacable enemy, Egypt, that has lasted through thick and thin for many years. The second Camp David summit came close.

Your "road map" has failed. Everyone who has left your administration who was in a position to know and is now free to speak his mind says you and your people were fixated on Iraq from the start. Going after Al Qaeda was an afterthought and trying to broker peace between Israel and the Palestinians had been off the table since 9/11.

Your administration creates terrorists.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:09 PM

Default Trial by hellfire

Sadat was a man who was capable of peace and willing to ensure both sides were equally placated.

Egypt got the Sinai, Israel got an Arab president to agree that they exist.

Sadat, despite his ability to not let Muslim fanaticism deter him, let Muslim fanaticism kill him. Egypt is among the few places in the Arab world where secular education seems to promote understanding. The Egyptian street still thinks of Jews as monkeys, but for the most part, the government, who have been exposed to enough non-Muslims often enough to know they're not all evil, has made incredible strides.

But the movie based on the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" still had the best ratings of any movie all year in Egypt.

They should bring every Arab who grew up with a father who was taught to hate Jews over to the United States for an education. Then you'd see peace.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:26 PM

Maybe he could stop using the US's vetoe for every resolution critical of Isreal

us vetoes
Old 03-22-2004, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he could stop using the US's vetoe for every resolution critical of Isreal

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would this help facilitate peace in Israel?
Old 03-22-2004, 04:58 PM

Because it looks more and more likely that the only way we'll get peace in Israel is if there is no Israel.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:04 PM

Your probably right, after all the UN really only applies to little countries and is just a nuisance to the US, Russia and China
Old 03-22-2004, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your probably right, after all the UN really only applies to little countries and is just a nuisance to the US, Russia and China

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm right about what? I thought I asked a question. Anyway if the US, Russia, and China have somehow derailed the UN Kerry would certainly have opportunity to change that if elected would he not? Haven't seen anything or heard anything from Kerry regarding what he plans to do in involving the UN to facilitate peace in Israel.