Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Worst sports injury that happened to you personally

Mountain Biking in Forest Park, Portland, OR. Coming down the access road after an hour or so long ride. It's pretty deserted (due to it being a rainy day) so I'm hauling ass pretty good. I come up on a part of the road that's paved (rest of it is gravel) and manage to wipe out going about 25 MPH. Sprained an ankle and got four inch wide strawberries on both hips, both knees, both elbows, both shoulders and both ankles. It was a solid 8 or so on a painful scale, even though it was just superficial injuries, took a solid two months before I could sleep on anything but my back again.

Cheers,

Swede
Old 02-11-2005, 04:27 PM

I was decapitated during a rough game of ping pong.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:42 PM

Is motorcycle riding a sport?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:43 PM

This summer I was skateboarding back to my house and I fell and broke my elbow in three places. Had surgery, cast for like 8 weeks and then physical therapy, and then I still have 3 pins in my elbow.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:46 PM

Ruptured Achilles tendon. Cost me a shot at the pros. The Chargers, Raiders and Cowboys were all interested in drafting me until the injury.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mountain Biking in Forest Park, Portland, OR. Coming down the access road after an hour or so long ride. It's pretty deserted (due to it being a rainy day) so I'm hauling ass pretty good. I come up on a part of the road that's paved (rest of it is gravel) and manage to wipe out going about 25 MPH. Sprained an ankle and got four inch wide strawberries on both hips, both knees, both elbows, both shoulders and both ankles. It was a solid 8 or so on a painful scale, even though it was just superficial injuries, took a solid two months before I could sleep on anything but my back again.

Cheers,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only assume you were on the Leif Erickson trail.

That downhill leading up to the paved part at the end is fun as hell, but scary. I bet you were going faster than 25 mph.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:48 PM

AC shoulder seperation and torn rotator cuff from snowboarding

Tore most of the ligaments out of both of my feet - one from playin in a Basketball game the other from horse back riding
Old 02-11-2005, 04:51 PM

High school wrestling: dislocated knee a couple or three different times. Hurt like hell, but was able to pop it back in joint and carry on. After the last time, though, the swelling didn't go down for a week or so, so they did exploratoy arthroscopic surgery ... couldn't find anything to fix so they sewed me back up. Missed the rest of the season.

Pseudo sport: dorking around on a bike that was way too small for me the handle bars broke off, and I fell onto the twised metal stump, impaling my forearm. Good for about 5 stiches and some slightly screwed up nerves in that arm.

B.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:05 PM

My turn!

Was playing backyard football/Rugby when the following happened (this was explained to me later): Apparantly I was running to tackle a guy who was almost on the ground, and another guy helpiung to tackle got between me and him. The front of my head instantly hit the back of his head.

I previously broke off my front teeth roller-blading, but this was much worse.

I lost three teeth and suffered a major concussion. Remember when Tommy Maddox had that big concussion against the Titans? Yeah, like that.

Here's how bad my concussion was:

1) I was conscious, but not mentally. In my mental state I was in a dream world, but you wouldn't know it because I wasn't passed out.

2) I was asking the same 7 questions, over and over again. I believe they went something like "Aww, what happened?" followed by "Oh crap, I got a concussion", followed by "Is Jeff okay?" etc etc

This seems somewhat normal for concussion standards until you realize I asked these same 7 questions for... 7 hours.

The Angels won the World Series just 5 days earlier. I couldn't remember who won. A new governor was elected the night before. I couldn't believe he won (even though I followed it the night before).

I forgot everything I learned in school that week. For about a day I didn't know my name.

In addition to the three broken teeth, I fractured the top part of my jaw (where the moustache is). Had a few surgeries to fix that.

Had an additional surgery to allow me to wear a retainer-like thing so I looked normal (in other words, I looked like I had a full set of teeth). This actually worked really well socially, though it was uncomfortable. Metal bolts were screwed into my jaw to allow room for a ceramic implant.

Had the implants fully screwed onto the bolts about 5-6 months later. That day of the operation, they removed my wisdom teeth too.

I look fine, nothing life chaninging, nothing showed up on the CAT scan the day of the injuries. Still a fun story though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2005, 09:33 PM

Ok, I must have been a sophmore in HS.
I am pitching. I deliver the pitch. Batter bunts. A small (5-10 feet high) pop-up between me and the catcher. I run a few steps, judge that I can make it

and dive for it. I catch the ball however my glove was at a 90 degree down angle w/ the rest of my horizontal arm. So my hand pretty much folded back onto my arm so that my glove was almost touching my elbow, but on the outside part of my elbow not the inside. I jump up in pain instantly and whip my glove off, look down at my arm and I see that I now have two "wrists", the first being my actual wrist and a new one a few inches down.

That was one of the wierdest things I've ever seen. Also, f.ing batter was safe b/c the ball wasn't "in control" in my glove for long enough.
rating 6.5

cielo