Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Re: I suck at speeches. Help!

[ QUOTE ]
I used to be really bad at presentations but have come along way these past few years. Some things I find very important.

1. know material very well
2. for notes/cue cards, make them as simple as possible and very easy to read. The idea is they CUE recall, not actually have the information. Since you have practiced the speech alot, the speech will come naturally and nicely.
3. For me (not sure if this applies to everyone), speak as slow as possible (I usually speak very fast).
4. If you use a powerpoint presentation, or overheads, keep as little on these as possible. It gets really confusing for the audience trying to read all of your display, and hear what you are saying at the same time.

Hope that was helpful. Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd add on this

a. if your powerpoint stuff is bullet points, these become your cue cards!
b. If you hesitate, do not say 'ummmm!', say nothing. Pausing is fine.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:51 AM

I don't think most of these other poster's understand your problem. You probably have a mild anxiety disorder, wether it be social or other. Try getting a hold of some xanax or valium before your speech and you should do fine. Same as alcohol really, but better at calming down your nervous system.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:07 AM

Being nervous at public speaking is not a disorder. Everyone inexperienced in this will be very nervous about it - if they aren't, then it is they, not our boy here, that have the defect.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being nervous at public speaking is not a disorder. Everyone inexperienced in this will be very nervous about it - if they aren't, then it is they, not our boy here, that have the defect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand public speeking can be a problem for those who are inexperienced and what not. I am saying at his age this is probably an anxiety issue. I am assuming this is a college speech. This means he has gone through tons of speeches in high school and junior high all the way since show and tell. In college, it sometimes gets extra tough and if you start blanking out in the middle of speeches and losing your breath like he is, it is a probably a mild form of social anxiety disorder which usually starts around college for most people who get it and have physical symptoms such as the ones he mentioned.

And just to be safe, go see a psychiatrist for one session and he will be able to determine a good estimate on if you need some form of benzo for things such as speeches.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:44 AM

Just vividly imagine yourself speaking super great many times over.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:03 AM

-First, of all, remember that if you are insecure/uncomfortable about this situtation, you are likely to put too high expectations on yourself. This means that the practice that you felt did not go good, still can be good.

-Second, spectators don't prefer to listen to a superslick, supertrained presentator. They prefer to listen to a normal human being, and will also believe much more of his message. What classifies a normal human being? He can look a bit nervous in front of crowds, he sometimes forgets what he was going to say etc..

BUT,
there is a few things you have to remember not doing even if you get nervous since it will annoy the spectators:
-don't reduce the volume of speech or look in another direction when you speak. Put the words clear into the open, don't try to just let them pass by.
-don't twist a pen or any other kind of irrelevant activity to battle the nerves as the spectators will focus 80% on this and 20% on your message.

So, basically, stand straight up facing the crowd and perform your presentation to the best of your ability. Don't be ashamed of your nervousness as 90% of the spectators know they would be nervous too, the 10% that don't get nervous realise they are exceptional, so NOBODY is going to think you are a fool.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:15 AM

And I have to add, don't drink anything before or take any calming medicines etc.. It will only lead you to establish a pattern which will be unsustainable in many situations you will face later.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to be really bad at presentations but have come along way these past few years. Some things I find very important.

1. know material very well
2. for notes/cue cards, make them as simple as possible and very easy to read. The idea is they CUE recall, not actually have the information. Since you have practiced the speech alot, the speech will come naturally and nicely.
3. For me (not sure if this applies to everyone), speak as slow as possible (I usually speak very fast).
4. If you use a powerpoint presentation, or overheads, keep as little on these as possible. It gets really confusing for the audience trying to read all of your display, and hear what you are saying at the same time.

Hope that was helpful. Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd add on this

a. if your powerpoint stuff is bullet points, these become your cue cards!
b. If you hesitate, do not say 'ummmm!', say nothing. Pausing is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much ABC as to what I've been told in my public speaking class (which is amazing because I couldn't talk to a crowd (without yelling) either before this class)

To add

a) If animation is inappropriate stand with feet should length apart and relaxed knees.

b) If you make a mistake DO NOT say "sorry" or "I screwed up". Pause. Find your place (even if re reading a section) and resume. Apparently it lowers your authority as the speaker and highlights the error in memory.

c) Practice it outloud 2-3 times the day before.

d)Previous post about breathing is the most important. Half breaths at comma's full breaths at periods. You CANNOT read too slowly so don't rush at all no matter how slow you're reading it's faster than you think.

e) Tell yourself that messing up doesn't matter, in a month no one will care if you screwed up.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:45 PM

Hey, thanks guys. I had an in-class rehearsal today. Nervousness was not very big of a problem, but my professor/classmates say I need to work on not being monotone and avoiding "umm's" - practice will plug those leaks.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I have a 7-8 minute long presentation tomorrow on an economist by the name of John Galbraith. I pretty much have all the notes I need, but my delivery sucks. I get nervous, my voice starts trembling, and my mind often goes blank while I'm speaking. Yea, it's pretty bad.

Any advice/encouragement would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man that's exactly what happens to me. Have fun