Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Martial arts question: Spinoff from \"terrible way to lose a fight\"

[ QUOTE ]
No disrespect meant to TKD, but its not as practical in a street application as other MA's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only agree with this a little. My instructor did an awesome of job teaching us how to use TKD in "street applications". Does every TKD school do that? Not by a long shot and some are really bad.

[ QUOTE ]
My advice is to find a school that has a mix of 2-3 MA's. For instance, I'm currently a 2nd brown in Karate and Ju-Jitsu, training towards my Black in October.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not a huge advocate of this sort of training personally. That said, good luck on your Black Belt test.

[ QUOTE ]
0%-80% of all fights end up on the ground, and a strong foundation in ground self defense, I think, is essential.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
Having said that, I've sparred some TKD students and they kick like MULES, but as soon as you go inside on them, they don't know what to do in a "street sparring" kinda of situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a lack of good teaching rather than fundamental lacking in the art itself. My teacher, whose name I sadly cannot remember at the moment, was very successful in open style full contact tournaments. I am pretty sure that he won the Florida wide championship twice. I cant remember for sure. At any rate, he taught how to use what he was teaching. I knew what to do when people tried to get inside on me and what to do if they succeeded in doing so. All styles generally lack in some area, I know there are areas where TKD is weak.