Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Martial arts question: Spinoff from \"terrible way to lose a fight\"

Here is a question that I have never had answered to my satisfaction. First some background. I took Tae Kwon Do from about age 10-15 or so. I didnt progress too far up the belt structure, but I can honestly say I was one of the better students, which ended up in my instructor moving me to the adult class. My family moved a few times in this time period which resulted in some interuption of the training process.

Anyhow, I am looking to get back into martial arts in some form. My question is do certain martial arts lend themselves to certain body types? Im 6'2" , 210 and have pretty long arms and legs, which I feel were very helpful in TKD. Are their other styles that lend themselves to a certain body type ? Should this be something I should even worry about or does it deserve some level of consideration? I am particularly interested by the grappling arts, since I didnt get much of that in TKD, and also I find Silat to be pretty interesting? So any insight on the body type questions or style comments any of you have in general would be interesting to hear.