Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 04:58 PM

Default ROI from folding all the way to the pushing zone?

I wondered if anyone who multitables uses a style of play like this. Simply folding virtually everything until you reach the levels to start a perfect push/fold strategy?

Or would this pass up too much +EV before you reach the bubble stage to make it work?

Does anyone have experience of what buyins can this might produce a +ROI at, if so I’d appreciate your opinions.

I ask because I’m starting to multitable and considered simplifying my early level play to help me deal with the extra tables.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: ROI from folding all the way to the pushing zone?

raise aa/kk/qq/ak, limp pps for set value (<10% of ur and villian's stacks) and fold everything else until u have <10bbs and then play perfect icm poker

that'd get u +roi at least at the 10s/20s

u can get more roi by playing more hands effectively, but tight then pushbot can be +ev at lower levels

i think raptor said he pushes aa/kk/qq/ak and folds everything else until <10bbs when he 20-tables the 10s/20s
Old 10-27-2005, 05:08 PM

raptor was doing this at the $22s, read through is posts and you should get the answer to this question. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2005, 05:10 PM

"but tight then pushbot can be +ev at lower levels"

At 55s and maybe 109s too if you pushbot very well.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:15 PM

I used to play like that. The only hands I would play before I was push/fold mode were AA, KK, QQ, AK, and I'd limp with PP. You can beat the 11s and 22s with a positive ROI playing like this as long as you are good with ICM and pushing on the bubble. I can't speak for higher levels of play, but from what I hear this doesn't work at 55s and higher. It's not the optimal way to play, but if you are a poker neophyte and suck at post-flop play, it might be the best way for you to start.

If you ever want to be a true STT cognoscenti though, you have to learn how to play post flop in the early levels. 6-max NL ring helped me a lot with that.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and 215, 400, and 1000 at least, if you pushbot nearly perfectly.

c
Old 10-27-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps at the 109s you will get paid off so rarely with AA-QQ in level 1-3 since regulars might pick up the über tightness that it will hur ROI quite a bit.

No doubt someone who is excellent at pushing might have a +ROI, but that isn't really a reason to pass on +EV opportunities.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:22 PM

It's a reason if it allows you to play enough more tables to make more hourly...
Old 10-27-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a reason if it allows you to play enough more tables to make more hourly...

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely if you squeeze in so many tables that you simply don't have time to play level 1-3, you will inevitably end up in situations where you don't have time to play good pushbotting later on in the SnGs.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to play like that. The only hands I would play before I was push/fold mode were AA, KK, QQ, AK, and I'd limp with PP. You can beat the 11s and 22s with a positive ROI playing like this as long as you are good with ICM and pushing on the bubble. I can't speak for higher levels of play, but from what I hear this doesn't work at 55s and higher. It's not the optimal way to play, but if you are a poker neophyte and suck at post-flop play, it might be the best way for you to start.

If you ever want to be a true STT cognoscenti though, you have to learn how to play post flop in the early levels. 6-max NL ring helped me a lot with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my post-flop play it ok, but if I start 8 tabling I want to keep it simple to start off with.
I'm going to try dropping to the $11's and play sets of 8 using this strategy. My ICM, bubble play and ITM play are pretty sound, so I’ll play 250 sngs and see what my stats look like.
If I’m +ROI it "should" prove my late play is good. Then I can work on early level post-flop skills.

Thanks for the comments