Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2002, 09:47 AM

Default My $100 mistake

It never ceases to amaze me how many mistakes I make. In an effort to plug leaks I write down the mistakes I catch as I go and a estimate of how much they cost me. I usually make 3 or 4 an hour but they are small something like $5 an hour worth on average.
I have only found (3) online tells. One is in texas holdem where the person calls a bet instatnly meaning they hit the check/call button. This is an error, when bet into they should be folding or raising generally if it is only the raiser and them so I have tracked players who do this and it correlates positivly with my win rate. The second tell is not taking responsibility for action. Typically this takes the form of "damn drawn out on again runner runner", "all online gambling is fixed", "this site is giving all the money to their props" and so on. It is this second type of tell where I blew a c note.
Looking for a soft seat I was having trouble until I found a 15:30 7 handed seven card stud game. Better still the seat that was open was the first one to left of the person not taking responsibility for his play. As predicted the game was worthless except for this person who was playing about 40% of his hands on 3rd street. He got on a kick about how the site was giving the scaryest board to the people with the greatest amount of money in front of them. This went on for about 15 minutes than he asked "Why do all the guys with the most $ in front of them win the most money?" I typed back "For those who have more shall be given, for those who have not even what little they do have shall be taken from them". Big mistake. This guy immediatly turned from spending 90% of his focus from complaining to playing poker. He also tightened up considerably against me on those hands he did play. I figure this costed me $100. Very seldem do I make a mistake this huge. It will be a long time before I do that again.
Old 12-07-2002, 04:43 AM

Default Re: My $100 mistake

Ramashiva would be proud.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:09 AM

Default Hello,Warren! Sometimes one of...

the best poker strate [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] gies is being "silent"--sort of like the song"Silent Night".

Happy pokering,
Sitting Bull
Your "EGO" made that statement--NOT U!
Old 12-07-2002, 05:37 PM

Default Re: My $100 mistake

Warren,

I see your reactions as much more positive than you do. First, you began by admitting that you make a lot of mistakes. Second, you recognized that he was making a mistake by not taking responsibility for his play. Second, you realized that you made a mistake by commenting. That is, you took responsibility for your actions and their consequences.

Many players don't understand the importance of accepting responsibility, and an even greater number don't accept it. They blame bad luck, incompetent dealers, cheating, etc., everyone and everything except themselves.

As long as you accept that responsibility and critically monitor your own actions and their consequences, you will grow as a player. You're heading in the right direction; keep it up.

Regards,

Al