Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: I\'m being sued by the RIAA

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
By the way, the school I went to (Lehigh University) refused to give the indentity of any of the ip addresses. Saved my ass...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they can do this anymore, which is way some of my fellow GT students got pwned on this too.

You people need to learn how to share stupid stuff like commercials and other allowable TV clips.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:00 PM

Too bad you destroyed all the files. They may have been worth the couple thousand you're going to have to pay for them.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, the school I went to (Lehigh University) refused to give the indentity of any of the ip addresses. Saved my ass...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they can do this anymore, which is way some of my fellow GT students got pwned on this too.

You people need to learn how to share stupid stuff like commercials and other allowable TV clips.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. I'm also one of those GT students, and I am always good about not sharing, but I felt safe sharing on this network seeing as it is available (upon approval by a committee) only to educational and government entities (read: no private business - RIAA, MPAA).
Old 06-23-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Too bad you destroyed all the files. They may have been worth the couple thousand you're going to have to pay for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. they're backed up. I'm not that dumb (although the jury is still out on that one).
Old 06-23-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily the best celebrity gimmick account. I applaud.

Trying to [censored] up your computer perhaos one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

I would wait until contacted and then offer them a settlement for 1/2 the amount along with a letter saying your sorry, you learned your lesson blah blah.

Get a lawyer and go for the Yahoo Music defense, as recommended by Mark Cuban.

As seen on Slashdot
"Mark Cuban is arguing over at Blog Maverick that with the introduction of Yahoo!'s new $5 per month music service that this needs to become the new de facto 'damages' that the RIAA ought to be able to claim when suing kids. After all, when the kids could have paid for the music via Yahoo! for $5 a month it makes it hard to say the music loss is worth more than that. 'The RIAA can no longer claim that students who are downloading music are costing them thousands of dollars each. They cant claim much of anything actually. In essence, Yahoo just turned possession of a controlled music substance into a misdemeanor. Payable by a $5 per month fine.'"

Of course, it isn't airtight, but I like it.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, it's the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that mp3, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Phil_ivey_fan wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

[/ QUOTE ]

good work. A gimmic account with promise. Don't eff it up, you are sitting on a winning ticket here
Old 06-23-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a lawyer and go for the Yahoo Music defense, as recommended by Mark Cuban.

As seen on Slashdot
"Mark Cuban is arguing over at Blog Maverick that with the introduction of Yahoo!'s new $5 per month music service that this needs to become the new de facto 'damages' that the RIAA ought to be able to claim when suing kids. After all, when the kids could have paid for the music via Yahoo! for $5 a month it makes it hard to say the music loss is worth more than that. 'The RIAA can no longer claim that students who are downloading music are costing them thousands of dollars each. They cant claim much of anything actually. In essence, Yahoo just turned possession of a controlled music substance into a misdemeanor. Payable by a $5 per month fine.'"

Of course, it isn't airtight, but I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

very good advice...thanx looking into it now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would wait until contacted and then offer them a settlement for 1/2 the amount along with a letter saying your sorry, you learned your lesson blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the RIAA. They don't care. They are very very money hungry. They've successfully sued an 8 year old girl before for downloading barney theme songs and the like. The parents didn't even know you could download music. The RIAA didn't care.