Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: unusual bad beat. Thought it was interesting

I keep being told I played this hand wrong, But you don't say how you would have played it, and Raptor said he would check and fold it. (Insinuated, not said). Neither have said what hands would really be ahead of me here. If I had not bet, you guys would have flamed. If I had half potted you would have said I showed weakness. Had I bet pot, someone would have said I needed to overbet with that many in to assure the bare ace would lay it down. I have seen everyone of these answers given by you guys. Now. How is my thought process so fishy? Given the way the hand played out, what hand would you put villian on? A made straight? He called my raise first hand in a tourney with others to follow with 98o? A set? If so there is a chance he will lay that down, with maybe the exception of TT. JQs, QKs, JKs? Something like that. Yes possible. But probable? These are the only hands that are ahead of me at this point. All others are drawing. Now my bet showed strength. I took all drawing odds away for everyone. I shouldn't be reraised by anyone in middle position with the nuts. The nut should have smooth called, hoping to get later positions to come along. If he had smooth called, or anyone in late position had came along, I would have dropped. But do you really see this guy holding a monster?

Can't believe I'm taking this much crap on this hand.

Later,
Rick
Old 05-19-2005, 11:26 AM

People get so upset by bad beat posts here, yet they always seem to draw a fair number of responses. I guess people just need to show their superior poker Zen every now and then.

Doesn't it occur to people that if you don't like bad beat posts - and this one even does you the courtesy of announcing that it is a bad beat post - the best way to discourage them is not to respond?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:28 AM

A nice 2/3 pot bet would do the trick. If someone comes over top of that, you just have to take your medicine and lay down the aces.

You just shoved all your chips in the middle on the very first hand on a scary board that against multiple opponents with a flop you didn't connect with, then said that "we" are chastising you for it. Uh, yeah - that hand probably could've been played a little better.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:37 AM

i think that i would probably do the same... a flat call would give me pause, but on the turn, i'd probably continue on betting figuring it was a 4-to-the-flush draw (unless a spade turned up).

that's just me though.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think that i would probably do the same... a flat call would give me pause, but on the turn, i'd probably continue on betting figuring it was a 4-to-the-flush draw (unless a spade turned up).

that's just me though.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I wouldn't bet the turn if called.
There's no need to protect against draws because I'm not even sure my hand is good at that point. Then again, I don't raise as much PF so I'm working with a much smaller pot at that point.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:03 PM

two pair, a set, or a baby flush.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:11 PM

Two pair or set are possible. Of course those are possible on any flop. Do you lay down aces everytime your raised fearing them? Flopped flush is really the only hand your way behind here, as the 2 pair and set hand would have to worry about the flopped flush as well.

Rick
Old 05-19-2005, 12:12 PM

how much did you raise?

lol
Old 05-19-2005, 12:16 PM

look... a person showed a lot of strength... you didn't raise enough to put anyone at this buy-in (in the first hand no less) on a hand.. it's a scary board... it's not like you have a draw... you're screwed.. you have to lay it down..

that's why you raise more in the first round with a premium hand in the low limits.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that's why you raise more in the first round with a premium hand in the low limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Run...