Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Re: unusual bad beat. Thought it was interesting

Agreed, I should have said ahead or way behind. Coinflip with most hands, almost dead meat against the monsters, which would be what, 2 spades of course. I'm ahead of all pockets except those that hit there set, and 88 or 99 with the spade. 89 of course your dead. But how many of those do you expect to play to an early position raise first hand. What I really expected to see was someone that hit there set, or AT with the ace being a spade. I can see someone calling TT, or AT, but 45 of spades or something. Kind of ruled them out because of my position when I raised. An early position raise real early seems to get reraised so often, I assumed middle position players would be even more leary of getting caught in the middle. Would you put a middle position player on a hand that crushed you if you were in my position? What hand?

Later,
Rick
Old 05-19-2005, 08:07 AM

what is this, a 20+2? lol, i have seen people in the 215s make a call with 74o from an utg raiser who makes it 5x. this should give you some idea of the level of play you should expect to see. in sngs, you dont play poker. you play morons. holla
Old 05-19-2005, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PLAY THIS HAND SLOW. you only get action when beat. its not worth throwing away your money. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought was interesting about this hand. Not that I played it right or anything. It was the fact that this guy did give me action when I was miles ahead. That's why I said unusual in my title. Couldn't believe it at a 30+3. I've always slowed way way down with an ugly flop like that. Was just trying something. Thought it was interesting enough to post. Again, wasn't crying, or asking for sympathy. Just thought you guys that are always talking about the quality of play improving as you go up MIGHT be able to learn something from it.

Sorry,
Rick
Old 05-19-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is this, a 20+2? lol, i have seen people in the 215s make a call with 74o from an utg raiser who makes it 5x. this should give you some idea of the level of play you should expect to see. in sngs, you dont play poker. you play morons. holla

[/ QUOTE ]
That was the point of my post. Not a bad beat.

Later,
Rick
Old 05-19-2005, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just thought you guys that are always talking about the quality of play improving as you go up MIGHT be able to learn something from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the quality of play DOES go up as you go up in levels.. it only makes sense.. there are going to be bad players at ALL levels. just rich donkeys. holla
Old 05-19-2005, 08:36 AM

Yea I suppose so. I was just shocked it was this bad. lol. OK, tell me something Raptor. You said somewhere in this thread that no hand that beats you is going to fold out here. I can see a lot of hands that beat you laying down, or at least flat calling with people left to act, to a bet of that size. What hand raises all in? The vast majority of the time I've seen the push is either a draw, or a set. Rarely will the nut raise all-in, from my experience. What hands would you expect to see here that called my original raise, then raised all in with people left to act that are beating my aces?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 05-19-2005, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a CHECKABLE flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I probably bet 150 and drop to a push. Checking seems terribly weak. Enlighten me? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in sngs, you dont play poker. you play morons.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of my favorite quotes ever.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:59 AM

Overbetting the flop is bad.

However at a 20 + 2 or 30 + 3 I am probably going to the felt with AA. More times than not, even with a scary flop, you are still way ahead, as is evidenced here.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now everyone talks about the quality of play as you progress. I don't believe it. I think the fish (myself included) run the gamot. It's just a bankroll issue. Not quality of play. Now I really felt like there was a good chance I was beat here, so you can flame me all you want for not raising more preflop, or that I should have laid this down. But I bet out knowing I was either way ahead or way behind. What was really interesting was what he had.

[/ QUOTE ]

alright, it seems like you have probably been smashed almost enough for having played the hand like an absolute jackass and all, so i'll smash you for something else.

here goes: as you move up levels, the skill of the AVERAGE player you face increases. there are still players who are bad, and still players who are REALLY bad. however, i don't think that anyone who is playing any kind of 800 chip game can talk about how they have moved up enough levels to expect to see a marked increase in quality of play from their average opponent. at all the 800 chip games, there are still many many players who play like total donkeys. sadly you appear to have used the "show my name as Hero" button, so i can't make a joke about having found out the name of a new one.

citanul