Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Can I Fold This Preflop?

The original raiser is super weak-tight. Just calls with very strong hands if the board is at all scary of anything bigger. He doesn't raise many hands. The 3-bettor just sat down, I don't have any reads. I'm assuming he doesn't have the weak-tight read on the original raiser. I was tempted to fold preflop not being suited.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (10 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 08-29-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Can I Fold This Preflop?

super-weak tight? meaning only AA-KK? yeah i'd fold, but i never have that good of a read, but if it's close i'd simply complete in SB.

what i don't get then is if you were considering folding preflop, why you would bet out that turn? i guess by your question he stopped betting his AA fearing trips Tens?

i'll check/call down probably. you pick up the nut flush draw on the turn and the pot is too big by the river IMO to give up assuming the worst.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:24 PM

I would have felt inclined to call this from the SB instead of capping. I would not have folded, because you have a small discount on the bet you have to call and you might be playing against AQ or pocket pairs other than AA or KK.

Part of the reason I would not cap preflop, is because you will have poor position postflop. Also by just calling, you also disguise your hand should an A or K fall on the flop. Then you can try to check/raise the original preflop raisers.

I think it may even have been worth attempting a check/raise on the turn against UTG when you paired the K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and picked up the nut flush draw.

Nice hand.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:28 PM

I think I would just call preflop. You will gain some information when you see if the original raiser caps or not and your cap may or may not be for value.

I think I would prefer check/calling the turn as MP3 likely has very few outs if behind and may think he is splitting if an ace shows up on the river with AQ/AJ. When you lead out and UTG+1 calls, he has to fold. But he might call another UTG+1 bet thinking he has more outs (AQ/AJ are drawing to 3 outs, QQ/JJ are drawing to 2).

Edit: Betting the turn is viable if you think this player is weak/tight enough to laydown AA because he's scared of a flush.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it may even have been worth attempting a check/raise on the turn against UTG when you paired the K and picked up the nut flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think the bet here accomplishes the same thing. If UTG+1 didn't lay down to this bet I doubt he'll laydown to a c/r with more money in the pot.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:41 PM

Where do we want him to go? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-29-2005, 03:08 PM

If he has aces we'd like him to fold... although it's extremely unlikely which is why I prefer check/call.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:11 PM

If your read is really that good just smooth call preflop, then I would of folded the flop here.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your read is really that good just smooth call preflop, then I would of folded the flop here.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm...i don't think i'm folding that flop, but maybe i'm overvaluing our hand.

if we don't cap and flop play is the same, we're getting 11:1 on our call. i give us ~3 outs for our UI overcards, .5 for our double inside straight draw, plus 1.5 for our BDFD= 5 outs. needing 9:1 to call closing the action, i think i'm peeling here.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:08 PM

If he's as truly weak-tight as you say he is then sure.

This is one reason why every so often I'll take a look though my PT database to see what premium hands opponents are limping or raising with: knowing this beforehand can really help your reads. One guy in particular has a PFR or zero after 200 hands. He's limped AKs, KK, QQ, JJ. He hasn't been dealt AA in my presense though; I've promised myself that I'd even throw away Queens or even Kings if he ever raises in front of me.

As an aside, this thread might serve as a bit of a warning to me, as I equate AKo with AKs preflop, and will 3-bet/cap with either regardless of circumstance. Maybe I should tone it down a bit.