Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Terrorists are afraid of shotguns? Military developed new weapon.

Linky

It is a well-known fact that terrorists killing our troops in Iraq are not afraid of the M4 and its 5.56mm bullet -- but they are terrified of shotguns. Enter the AA-12. No felt recoil, high explosive rounds, gas-forged and heat-treated, this shotgun may give terrorists a run for their money.

Is this true? Are they really afraid of shotguns and not afraid of M4s? That doesn't seem right.

Can any vets here confirm the shotgun fear? Jake?

On a side note the gun in this link is bad ass. No recoil and armor piercing explosive shells.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Terrorists are afraid of shotguns? Military developed new weapon.

Well, I've often read cops saying that the bigger the bore of the barrel, the more likely it seems to stop crooks in their tracks. And supposedly that's one of the reasons shotguns are so good for home defense -- you're less likely to have to fire them.

I've also read prisoners saying they'll take a risk charging a small calibre gun, which seems to confirm that bit from the cops. Guess they figure sometimes you miss, sometimes not much damage is done, and chances are that whatever happens you'll like it better than going to prison? Dunno, but I can see charging a smaller bore gun being a lot more tempting.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:07 PM

I agree, someone charging at a shotgun is gonna get popped, to easy to hit something.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:13 PM

Just a guess, but I would imagine that with limited access to medical attention, you would rather have a high-powered bullet with a chance of going in-and-out hit you, rather then a whole shitload pellets that you'll never get out...kill you. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 10:36 PM

i want one right now haha.looks sweet
Old 06-25-2005, 12:15 AM

Makes a lot of sense. Most encounters are at close range. The M4 throws (roughly) a .22, OO buckshot is .32. At close range a shotgun has the advantage by thowing multiple projectiles, and doing more damage.

If you gave me the choice of one, and only one, weapon for urban warfare I'd go with a 12-gauge.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:34 AM

Yeah, these guys will gladly blow themselves into little pieces in the hope of killing a few Americans, but they're scared of a high bore rifle. Want to end the insurgency? Grab grandpa's shotgun.

peewee
Old 06-25-2005, 10:39 AM

I don't know anything about which they'd "fear" more. But these are people that blow themselves up to accomplish what they want so....

The M4 is basically the M16 with the shorter barrel & collapsing stock right? Anyway, the M16 sucked in the desert. It's a piece of crap in that environment, and has to be kept extremely clean and free of sand to work. The plus is that the M16 is far more accurate at a distance than AKs and in the desert, that's not a bad thing. The only thing I ever saw anyone use a shotgun for was one unit using them to clear ratholes as they're pretty ideal down in the tunnels. But the lack of range is a problem in a lot of areas, not to mention reload speed, fewer rounds, etc.

Edit: Also, the 5.56mm round is small as mentioned, but it's designed to bounce around inside you and do a lot of damage. You'd be surprised.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:40 PM

People fear shotguns more than other guns because the sound of it cocking is terrifying. CHA-CHICK.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:50 PM

And also because you know if the pellets are coming out in a two foot wide spread, you're almost certainly getting hit with at least a few of them, whereas a from a regular gun could miss you or just graze you, or if it hits you, hit nothing vital. With a bunch of pellets, something's going to hit you for sure, and chances are pretty good that real damage will be done. And if you take it on full blast, it might cut you in half. Althought it can happen, people probably don't visualize a pistol bullet cutting off an arm or scooping out their whole abdomen.