Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Moving from micro to small stakes

One reason people have a difficult time analysing whether they are ready to move up is that don't take into account the net effect of rake plus the site poker bonus. If you are working to complete a bonus the net effect of the rake and the bonus leave you in a positive position so even if you have an EV of zero you would make money. This makes moving up very attractive if you look at the amount your account balance went up per 100 hands. Once you move up and your bonus runs out now your screwed : ), now you are playing against better players, lowering your EV, and now time/rake is no longer your ally but a deadly enemy. No wonder many people run into a wall. The solution is pretty simple, just ignore any amount of bonus you earned in determining when to move up. Yes, the rake is slightly less onerous when you move up but the opponents you will face are significantly better too so maybe it will be a wash though I would still expect your BB/100 EV to go down.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Moving from micro to small stakes

[ QUOTE ]
The solution is pretty simple, just ignore any amount of bonus you earned in determining when to move up.

[/ QUOTE ]
For those who don't have a poker coach or someone closely monitoring their game, I think that's good advice. If you are being taught by a solid player, then listen to him/her about when to move up, but if you're doing it on your own, I like this advice.