Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2001, 04:43 PM

Default Trapped

Hi all,

Im in the middle of a 9 handed pot limit game with JJ and there are two callers ahead of me; I dont raise preflop looking to trap someone in case I flop good. About 5 total callers

Flop: 8 T J rainbow

Check to me and I bet the pot with top set, 1 caller, this guy is about as loose as they come and somewhat of a maniac, he also was taking a shot at hig limits, but he is getting better, after a loooong time he calls.

Turn: A

Again, I bet the pot. He is visibly disturbed and reluctantly calls

River: 7

What do you do?
Old 11-21-2001, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Trapped

What are the stack sizes??? Can he put you all-in with a huge bet? This is largely player dependant b/c if you check he will be tempted to move in whether he has the 9 or not (esp. if he has seen you can lay down for a big bet). A quick analysis makes it seem very likely he rivered the straight and was fishing the whole hand (why would he look disturbed if the ace hit him, I doubt he would call a pot-sized bet with an 8 or 10). He doesn't like having to pay through the nose to draw. I would check and make a judgement based on what he does (likely pushing in the maximum). Your move is player dependant, but I put him on a 9 and fold (if he bets huge) unless I have seen him make some big bluffs.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2001, 09:14 PM

Hi Jeff,

Im sorry, I did not explain the action well enough. He was 2nd in and I am in about 5th in so he acts first. He checks the flop someone after him bets the pot (about $30) and I raise ($60 to make pot $120) he thinks for awhile and calls the raise.

On the turn he checks when the A hits and I bet pot again ($120 making pot $240) and he calls. I have about $150 left and he can cover.

River: he checks again and I pot again

He calls and says "if you have Q9 your a winner" and shows K9o.

I nearly gagged and felt like I trapped myself with this hand! He got there on the river and I did not even notice the seven made the straight, I also thought he at least had two pair on the turn call.
Old 11-22-2001, 06:17 AM

Ok, well that changes things quite a bit. You're acting last, so you're in the drivers seat here. IMO it is fairly obvious that this somewhat loose player is drawing the whole hand and probably hits the end. When he checks the end, I check behind with no hesitation. What will a bet do? It is extremely unlikely that he will call you with a worse hand (in fact, if I was him and had played this hand till the end, I would have simply bet the pot myself on the river b/c you might be able to--with all you've contributed---convince yourself he's bluffing and call)and if you are raised you are beaten for sure. You really did trap yourself here as your river decision is easy with position. This hand is much tougher to play out of position. Check down, and if you are that shocked you are beaten here, it may be time to brush up on your hand reading skills. Sounds like you're playing for some nice stakes...post hands here, it is a great help and take a notebook with you to record any hands that trouble you.

Jeff