Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Why do people get mad at their money?

I must admit I don't quite understand "tilt." While I will be the first to admit it pisses me off when someone chases me to the river with botom pair or a gut shot and catches, I have never turned around and used something like that as an excuse to add to my woes by spilling off a bunch more chips. So, yes, I get mad - really mad sometimes - but not at my money. I don't find a reason to play mediocre hands in some desperate attempt to get even.

If anything, I may play a little too tight after a few bad beats. I know all the mathmeticians out there say that each hand has no correlation to the hands that follow, but some days ....... well, I guess I would call it a "reverse rush." Instead of everything going exactly right, everything goes exactly wrong. When it is the latter, I play tighter, and sometimes maybe I fold hands in late position that are playable.

I bring this all up because this morning I was playing in a game and one player in particular, was playing very, very well - until he had his pocket aces cracked by a very loose player who chased him to the river with a Q8 in his hand, caught an 8 on the flop and another on the river. After this happened, all the correct play by the loser of this hand was thrown out the window, and before long he was stuck for a lot more money playing almost every hand that came his way.

I don't get it.

Bug
Old 09-24-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Why do people get mad at their money?

[ QUOTE ]

If anything, I may play a little too tight after a few bad beats.

Bug

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing too tight is a form of Tilt as well as while on a winning streak "playing the rush" is.

Tilt means that circumstances effect your play in an unprofitable way. So if you play less hands than you should from bad beats you are on tilt and losing money in the long run from it.

So why are you getting angry at your money by not investing in profitable hands?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:15 PM

Default Actually, you *are* tilting

[ QUOTE ]
sometimes maybe I fold hands in late position that are playable

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you're admitting to making a -EV play because of past bad luck. Sounds an awful lot like tilting to me.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:17 PM

Oops. What tt said.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:21 PM

Thomas, I don't always agree with your posts, but this one is IMHO right on the money! Nice.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2004, 01:26 PM

Okay, interesting point; however, it is rare that I muck -say - a KJ in late position and come to regret that decision when I have decided to tighten the reigns because things have not been going well. I don't like KJ at the best of times, and while I of course play it, it's funny how that hand can get you into some unwanted difficulties. So, yes, your definition of tilt in my situation is completely accurate, but I still have a difficult time believing tightening up is costing me more money than playing every hand after a bad beat. We have all had rushes, and when things are going well, not only are you hitting more than your fair share of hands, but most of your opponents begin to fear your every move. Again, I say, reverse to that is when you are not hitting, your opponents know it, and they are playing back at you. I think, for the most part, I do play a tight aggressive game, but there are times when - if we are to use your definition - I play weak/tight. And I would rather play weak tight any day than piss away a bunch more chips because one bad beat turned me into a maniac. If I get that mad, I hope I would have the common sense to leave the game and do battle another time.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:48 PM

I agree with what you are sayin in part. People go on tilt and piss away chips, this equals lost money due soley to tilt. But money not won is the same as money lost in poker. So folding a +EV hand because of tilt, is still losing money. Its not as bad as pissing away chips in frustration, but its still pissing away income because of your emotional state, i.e. tilt.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:17 PM

just the fact that you say you "tighten up"implies that you are playing differently because you arent hitting. this is tilt. the sooner you recognize this the better. its better than playing everyhand for a raise but you are still choosing to play less than your best because you arent hitting.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:42 PM

Bugsplatt,

So what you are saying is that your form of tilt or leak is less bad than another form of tilt or leak.

So then you get mad at your money but it is less mad than some? Does this make it ok?

My underlying point is that your post is a form of bragging or bravado. You are putting down a weakness some players have to make your own weakness or leak seem less bad.

How can this behavior be constructive or ever improve your game?
Old 09-24-2004, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Actually, you *are* tilting

Until now, I've never ever seen tilt used in a sentence to refer to someone who has "gone into a shell" in response to bad a beat. Tilt is generally used in a more specific context to refer to someone that not only starts making -EV plays, but also exhibits loose, wild, reckless behavior. (Since you all wanted to split semantical hairs here...)