Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2004, 04:17 AM

Default Multi-Tabling SitNGo\'s

How hard is this? I imagine it would occur frequently where you are down to short-handed big blinds on both tables and I think I'd have trouble keeping everything straight. Do you guys have problems playing like 5 handed and below on 2 tables at once?
Old 08-16-2004, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Multi-Tabling SitNGo\'s

You get used to it. I used to stagger them so that I'd never play shorthanded in more than 2 games. However now its no big deal, and I often have some sort of stars NL ring game or two running in the background.
-Jason
Old 08-16-2004, 04:30 AM

It's not as hard as you'd think. I play 4 party sngs at a time, and start them all at once. Once in a while you get rushed near the bubble, and sometimes you DO make a mistake (sometimes it's a big one) that you wouldn't have made if you were only playing one game--a misclick, a misjudgment, whatever. Also, it does happen once in a while that you don't cash in any of the four, but that's offset psychologically by the fact that you almost always break near-even or make money, even when you're running bad. Also, I find that it helps me concentrate on poker when I'm multitabling--when I'm only playing one game, I tend to be also watching tv or web browsing, and in an odd, ADD sort of way, my concentration is better when multitabling.

The truth is, at my (low) limits, there are pretty obvious answers to most situations and either I know what to do or I don't. If I don't, I jot down a little note and post the hand on 2+2 later. The routine nature of most of the plays isn't affected by multitabling. And, should you need to think, you still get the 20 seconds, just like you would were you only playing one game. I usually use the time to open the other tables, make the routine plays, and come back to the tough one, like I would I tough exam question.

I enjoy it a lot.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:58 AM

I actually rarely play only sngs when I play multiple tables.

For me, I find it is easier to keep full ring games going while I play sngs. The full ring games I play very tight and don't actually need to do much or be observant at all. This way you can keep your attention on the sng and if you want you can even just sit out of one or two for a few minutes when it gets heads up.

I find that Multi tabling became a lot easier when I learned to stop panicking whenever I needed to make a decision on a table. Just take your time and don't be stressed by the thought that you need to make a lot of decisions fast. There really is a lot of time to do it.

Also, if you have a monitor where tables overlap, don't feel pressured to be sorting through all the tables all the time. I like to just sit back and let each table pop up on it's own and make those decisions as they come at me.

I'm sure everyone has their own way of doing things. I almost never have more than 2 tables going at once, though I usually am writing or doing other things at the same time.
Occasionally, if I just want to play cards I'll play 3-4 tables but that's about my limit.

Regards
Brad S
Old 08-16-2004, 09:14 AM

i either do all 4 SnG's or 4 ring games. the reason being is my rakeback. if i do a mix, i usually forget to setup poker tracker to request hands every 15 min. w/o hand histories, i have no idea what my rake is.

but if i do 4 SnG's, it'll automatically ask me at the end if i want to save hand history for the whole touny.

if i do 4 ring games, i remember to do Poker tracker.

yeah, i've been on the bubble at all 4 SnG's at once. ($30+3). adrenaline rush to say the least. and yeah, i did screw up. big ones which cost me to lose at #4. (ie: went all in to steal blinds and didn't realize I was UTG. Button called with KK.)

minor ones such as where i should have went all in instead of just raising. i was short stacked and the raise was 80% of my stack. DUH! lucky the other guy folded in that case.

i can handle being on the bubble at 2 SnGs. 3's a little stressful, but still doable. 4 sng's on the bubble at same time= mistakes! lucily (or unluckily) that only happened to me 4 or 5 times out of 200 SnG's i've played in quad mode.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:41 AM

Being short handed isn't too bad with a couple of tables, but heads up is a different story for me.

If I'm heads up on 2 or 3 tables at once, I make way too many mistakes. I normally try to stagger the starts times by about 10 minutes or so. This isn't a problems on PS because it takes longer for the SnGs to fill up.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How hard is this? I imagine it would occur frequently where you are down to short-handed big blinds on both tables and I think I'd have trouble keeping everything straight. Do you guys have problems playing like 5 handed and below on 2 tables at once?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find 2 is easy, 3 is a stretch, and 4 is just too many for me.

I like the 2 SnGS+1 ring game arrangement. Then you can sit out of the ring game if you go bubble or HU at both tables.

eastbay
Old 08-16-2004, 11:15 AM

I used to play SnG's and ring games at the same time but then I realized that I was not playing optimally at both, since my tournament strategy and my ring game strategy are different.

In loose ring games I like to see a lot of flops with suited connectors, etc, but in Party short-stacked SnGs you really can't afford this luxury.

Concentrating on multi-tabling only ring games or only SnG's allows me to stick with one consistent strategy.

Oh, FWIW, I usually play 3 and sometimes 4 SnGs at once.

The Doc
Old 08-16-2004, 11:19 AM

eastbay,
When you are doing this, are you playing a NL ring game or Limit?

I have been doing the same with 2 SnG's and 1 ring game, with the ring game usually being $3/$6 limit with $30 or $50 SnG's.

One issue I have is switching from limit mind set to NL mind set from hand to hand, although I am getting better at it.

I used to play a $50NL ring game, but I have found the $3/$6 to be way easier money with less "big" decisions, leaving my puny brain to concentrate on the SnG's.

Just curious about what you do,
woodguy
Old 08-16-2004, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eastbay,
When you are doing this, are you playing a NL ring game or Limit?

I have been doing the same with 2 SnG's and 1 ring game, with the ring game usually being $3/$6 limit with $30 or $50 SnG's.

One issue I have is switching from limit mind set to NL mind set from hand to hand, although I am getting better at it.

I used to play a $50NL ring game, but I have found the $3/$6 to be way easier money with less "big" decisions, leaving my puny brain to concentrate on the SnG's.

Just curious about what you do,
woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I play limit 3/6, since I'm not an experienced limit player and the pace is fairly slow with reasonably easy decisions that don't require a whole lot of individual reads. I think you can play a tight ABC limit game, basically blind to the other players, in 3/6 and make money at it. So far it has been working for me.

eastbay