Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 04:03 AM

Default The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything!

Here it is folks! The answer to life, the universe, and everything. And it ain't 42. I've read the numerous posts on the boards pondering answers to the ultimate questions. The meaning of life, the existence of a higher being, the nature of man, the origin of life... and on and on and on... These questions are nothing new. They've been asked since recorded history. And the answer is... we simply don't know and we have no idea if we ever will know.

That's it. There's no futher arument. I've had my share of philsophy classes, I've had my late night arguments with friends, I've bickered with Athesists, Catholics, Baptists, Jews, Mormons, alcoholics, weed smokers, police officers, random crazies, and on and on... In the end nothing changes. I still know nothing and they still know nothing.

As to God and whether he exists and to those who KNOW that he does... well that's just BS. They don't know. These religious types can't KNOW and knowing that he does exist would destory the entire belief system of religion... and that's faith. They don't KNOW that God exists but they have a strong feeling that he does. If you knew then the life long struggle of faith is gone.

What happens after we die? We don't know. Where did life come from? No clue. Is there a God? I hope so. Is 2 + 2 really 4? Only because we all universially accept it as 4. Is there even a reality outside of my own consciouness? Jeez.... I really can't say for sure that there is.

So everyone, lets all just agree that we have no idea. But it sure is fun to think about it, but to say we know the answer is not true. The only real truth is that O.J. and Michael Jackson really are guilty as sin!

Oh... and poker rocks!

... and you guys too!

J Roc
Old 07-31-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Re: The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything!

"The unknown is something that is veiled from man, shrouded perhaps by a terrifying context, but which, nontheless, is within man's reach. The unknown becomes the known at a given time. The unknowable, on the other hand, is the indescribable, the unthinkable, the unrealizable. It is something that will never be known to us, and yet it is there, dazzling and at the same time horrifying in its vastness" ---Carlos Castaneda
Old 07-31-2005, 08:12 AM

"What do you get when you multiply six by nine ?"
"I always knew there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe."

Saw it pointed out once that 42 base 13 = 54 base 10.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The meaning of life,

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the meaning of "The Meaning of life?"

[ QUOTE ]
Is 2 + 2 really 4? Only because we all universially accept it as 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not correct.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:53 AM

Exactly
Old 07-31-2005, 09:49 AM

So you're a skeptic. Doesn't mean some beliefs aren't more reasonable than others.

Like 2+2=4. No-one here is going to show there is no proof that 2+2 doesn't equal 3 but its very reasonable to believe 2+2=4.

chez
Old 07-31-2005, 11:55 AM

The Answer is z.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:07 PM

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." Oscar Wilde
Old 08-01-2005, 12:57 AM

I'm not saying that 2 + 2 does not equal 4. I'm saying it equals 4 becaues it's a system we all agree too. That's the reason there is truth to that.

I remember seeing a shirt that read:
There are 10 people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I think that explains what I'm trying to say.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying that 2 + 2 does not equal 4. I'm saying it equals 4 becaues it's a system we all agree too. That's the reason there is truth to that.

I remember seeing a shirt that read:
There are 10 people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I think that explains what I'm trying to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, I kinda think 2+2 would equal 4 whether we agreed to the system or not. Do you mean that we could agree a system with different labels or use a different base? because that wouldn't change anything. 2+2 would still equal 4 we would just represent that fact differently.

chez