Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Trouble with 10-10

I wouldn't normally check pre-flop, but occassionally I might. My stack is deep enough relative to the blinds that I might check and try to hit a set. There are two bigger stacks in the hand and the third is close, so if I felt that I was up against loose opponents who'd pay me off, I might check.

But as I said, usually I'd raise. Too much in that pot already to just check IMO.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:44 PM

Ok thank you. It might sounded a bit sceptic, but i just couldn't think of a reason [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 12:51 PM

Definitely a little timid with this hand. I can't see checking 10-10 preflop, since you're inviting three other players to stick around and try to hit overcards or some draw on the flop.

And I agree with the criticism that the flop bet was too small. If you weren't going to bet big, you were inviting people to stick around, again, and beat a vulnerable.

Somewhere I heard someone say a rule of thumb is that "tens need help"... I think you went the opposite way with this hand, inviting others to stick around and improve to the point where your tens would start looking weak...
Old 08-03-2005, 01:11 PM

I bet 175 to 200 on the turn, as I think it gives you a much better idea of where you're at and theres a good chance you have the best hand. Theres not much he could have here other than a 9, maybe A2s, or making a weak call w/a middle pair. However, any or all of these hands could bet into when you check the turn and put you in an odd spot. I prefer betting and folding to a raise (most of the time as long as the guy isnt shady), and obviously in this case where the guy had a big hand you would have lost less.

P.S. You can raise PF, but I usually dont. I think there are arguments to be made both way, but you'll usually get callers and be out of position with ovecards on the flop, meaning any call will put you in an awkward position on later streets with a decent sized pot, regardless of whether you have the best hand or not. However, if the blind are a bit bigger, I love moving all-in from the blinds with a hand like this, as its an easy way to pick up the dead money, and a decent amount of the time some schmo
wont believe you and will call with his small pair.