Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Evenplay questionable ---- no, brilliant!

Actually, I think an understanding of Gigabet's play on the first hand could take me to the next level, because he is thinking like one of the top professionals, and nobody looking at these hands have a clue why it is so brilliant.

This is what I think --- Gigabet is playing everybody else's cards first, and second figuring what everybody is going to think he has. What he actually has is only his third consideration. A rag flop comes on the board with a bunch of limpers where he has overcards and a flush draw. A minibet comes out. This minibet could be a probing bet or a minibet by a limper with a small pair making his set. (also, a player making the set could be coming after gigabet). His minraise is a probe to find out if anybody hit a set or two pair. With draws on the board, he is going to be raised big on the flop if that is the situation, and he knows pairing one of his overcards won't win the pot for him. When everybody calls, he knows nobody has anything much.

What appears to be a blank comes on the turn. He has to figure that the probability that somebody has something that they are willing to call an all-in with is small, perhaps 10-15%. If they DO call the all-in with a poorly played set or two pair, or a straight, then he still has 9 outs to win the pot on the end. Do the math. The all-in raise is a genius play, set up by his ingenious play on the flop. I would have considered neither play, which is why I have a lot I could learn from gigabet. It is just like when we watch WPT on TV and see what appears to be a stupid play from a top professional. It only looks stupid because we don't understand it.

Is this a reasonable analysis, Gigabet?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a reasonable analysis, Gigabet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 05-11-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Evenkeal\'s play, questionable?

I agree. I think a raise to 100-150 or so would have set up the turn push much more nicely (and gotten that gutshot straight draw to fold). One thing that may be worthy of consideration is keeping the pot size as small as possible while still conveying strength on the flop. Maybe this was the intention in that it reduces everyone else's pot odds to call on the turn all-in, increasing the likelihood of a fold?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:32 PM

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad."

Way to walk the line, Giga.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Gigabet, I have an important question

Someone said that your flop play is a probe bet to see if anyone has a big hand. So if they have a big hand arent u in danger of being pushed off your draw to the nuts? Can u explain how the risk of being blow off your draw is worth it? I guess its because your turn play will almost never be called if your mini-raise doesnt get re-popped?
Old 05-18-2005, 05:08 PM

GIgabet is sick good, and at times his plays backfire spectacularly. Don;t try to learn anything from these plays, yer not ready yet. hell, I'M not ready yet. Actually, plays such as this in SNG's I fell aren;t especially valuable long-term, and there is a better than average chance he is just using them as practice and theory testing.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So basically you are saying value bets don't exist at these levels? I don't buy that for a second.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you clearly don't watch the games very often. That is exactly what he is saying, and for all intents and purposes, value bets don't exist at this level. Good players just don't pay people off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. I pay off like slot machine...
Old 05-18-2005, 05:24 PM

ATTN: GIGABET

FOLD PREFLOP

LOL