Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Computer RAM and other ramblings

Im about to splurge and buy some more memory. Right now Im only at 512mb and would like to have 2gb. Im on a HP with P4 2.8 GHz Hyperthreading so I figure with a great upgrade in RAM my computer would be fine for a good while.

I gotta call HP and make sure my motherboard will support 2gb. My comp came stock with the 2.8 so it's faily new so I hope Im not stuck with a [censored] board. I was thinking Corsair which is saw for around $300 online. Good or someone else?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Computer RAM and other ramblings

I, without fail, will recommend crucial everytime, but you can't really go wrong with corsair. Memory is pretty cheap again now, so get the quality stuff.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:47 PM

Ive never upgraded my computer. I dont want to keep this one stock however as I got a great deal with it when it was purchased and would like to keep it fresh. I'll check out Crucial, thanks for the suggestion.

Since upgrading it to more powerful parts do I need to worry more about a better cooling fan or anything similar?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:02 PM

Make sure you buy the right kind or ram when you buy it. And Corsairs value series is excellent value for money. I personaly have never understood why so many people want 2gb ram though. Waste of money if you ask me.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:10 PM

Well within the next few weeks I should be 8 tabling, and if it's only a $150 more why not. My comp would never freeze and should start up in about 3 seconds.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well within the next few weeks I should be 8 tabling, and if it's only a $150 more why not. My comp would never freeze and should start up in about 3 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually none of the above is true (except for the fact that you will be 8 tabling of course.)
Old 08-16-2005, 03:36 PM

1. Going from 512mb to 2gb will not make your computer start faster. Quite the oppisite if memtest is enabled in bios.
2. Playing 8 tables is no problem with even 512mb.

Get 1gb total instead and spend the rest on something more fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Going from 512mb to 2gb will not make your computer start faster. Quite the oppisite if memtest is enabled in bios.
2. Playing 8 tables is no problem with even 512mb.

Get 1gb total instead and spend the rest on something more fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

what is this memtest you speak of?

off to google, BRB.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:19 PM

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bio...dvQuick-c.html
Old 08-16-2005, 06:27 PM

Hi....MyMindisGoing hopefully you will read this and can help me or if anyone else can help me that would be great.

I have a Dell Dimension 9100 with 3.0GHz, 160GB, 256MB GeForce 6800 dual video card, and I just upgraded from 1GB memory to 2GB memory.

I upgraded my memory from 1GB to 2GB even though I was told 1GB was enough memory for 2 monitors to 8 table. I have 2 Dell 2001fp monitors.

The reason I added 1GB more of memory is because everytime I open up 8 tables (4 on Party and 4 on Empire) my computer seems to slow down and freeze for 5-20 seconds. After 5-20 seconds it will unfreeze for a minute or so, but it keeps happening. Sometimes my hand gets folded and other times I have a few seconds to act. Either way it makes 8 tabling impossible.

Since the upgrade from 1GB to 2GB hasnt helped can anyone give me any advice as to what maybe wrong? Is it Empire poker that maybe causing this? Should I try another Party Skin, like Eurobet?

I am totally frustrated trying to eliminate this freezing problem when I try to 8 table. I know I have more than enough computer to 8 table and its the main reason I bought this computer, but I cant get it to work with 8 tables open.

I appreciate anyone taking the time to try to help me correct this problem.

Thank you,

Lisa