Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Building a DVD collection update 1

Movies I own and Believe would be superb additions to any DVD library...

Pulp Fiction- Tarantino's crowning achievement. Excellent cast.
Requiem for a Dream (Director's Cut)- Darren Aronofsky's follow up to Pi. Features great cinematography and an outstanding preformance from Ellen Burnstyn
Traffic- Steven Soderbergh's best 4 time Acadeny Award winning film. Outstanding preformance by Benicio Del Toro and overall great cast.
Memento- A film with a story line like no other. Guy Pearce is great.
The Big Lebowski- IMO the greatest Coen brothers film. Very funny and John Goodman's finest big screen preformance. Another great casting job.
Natural Born Killers (Director's Cut)- Written by Tarantino and directed by Oliver Stone. Two unique minds together for one movie. It's out there a bit, but can be appreciated for what it is.
Scarface- I believe no explanation is needed.
Apocalypse Now (Redux)- Francis Fird Coppola's masterpiece. Brando, Sheen, Duvall, Fishburne, Hopper, Ford... WOW.
Godfather (trilogy)- No explanation needed.
Star Wars (I, II, IV, V, & VI)- The holy trilogy.

A side note: I own in the neighborhood of 500 movies. After seeing so many films; many of them tend to become predictable and very clichÃ. So movies the stray from the norm tend to be of more intrest to me, because I haven't seen 30 movies like it before.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:14 PM

i was about to say these are all great, until i got to the bottom of the list. star wars 1 & 2? i consider those to be the biggest mistakes in movie history. i think i would have been better off never seeing them as they have tainted the star wars universe for me.

episode 1 displayed how lazy and uncreative lucas has become. he just copied the entire ending from his own return of the jedi. all the elements are the same. lightsaber fight, fighter battles, and the oh so cute indigenous people defeat the much more technologically advanced bad guys. give me a break, come up with something new.

episode 2 showed us how lucas was able to bring out the worst acting in some good actors. also his dialogue is about as natural as styrofoam. and weren't you excited to see a large group of jedis in action after 20+ years of only seeing a couple? boy it just looked like a bunch of people swinging lighted sticks. a little personality in the fighting would have been nice.

i haven't completely given up on episode 3, but i suspect since it will since it will have the same bad acting, bad dialogue, and lucas has trapped himself into writing a plot he may not want to anymore. i think he'd be better off getting peter jackson to ghost direct it for him.

ok, done with my star wars rant.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:34 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the teaser for ep3 actually looks good
Old 11-24-2004, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the teaser for ep3 actually looks good

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so did the teasers for 1 and 2. I remember getting chills seeing the teaser for 1 in the theatre for the first time. Seemed like there was no way it wasn't going to be awesome. Little did I know Lucas had hired the worst child actor of all time.

Sorry for the thread hijack, back on topic, I second the nomination of "The Sting" if you haven't seen it. Classic gambling scene with Paul Newman in it.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've got a good system going here, and I pretty much agree with all your ratings so far.

What happens when someone comes over and wants to watch a movie that isn't in the front of the queue?

[/ QUOTE ]

A girl friend tried to pull that once. I think it was some type of control thing. In any event, she didn't get her way and I eventually broke up with her.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:42 PM

Im working off thee memberships right now. I don't have any complaints.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:46 PM

I was a bit constrained by the initial selectiosn offered by Columbia House but I do have the Godfather triology and it's currently on deck.

I've always been interested in seeing Seven Samurai, I'll put it on too get list now.

The Recruit worked for me, in a fun way. Not sure why it just did. I didn't expect much realism I guess.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Recruit worked for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, The Recruit was Training Day in a different box. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 06:07 PM

Honestly I just have a thing for CIA movies and have always had a fascination with them. Undoubtedly stemming from my father having been an agent. Interestingly enough he pretty much hates all the CIA type films. Too unrealistic.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:26 PM

good list, i'd check out these if you havent already-

human traffic (not sure if this will cross the pond well or not)
amelie
american history x
trainspotting
true romance
nine queens
la haine
scratch - (if you like hip hop)
amores perros
city of god
don juan de marco
donnie darko

enjoy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]