Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2004, 08:18 AM

Default Building a DVD collection update 1

OK to recap I am rebuilding my DVD collection.

The rules

#1. All DVD's (movies) are graded from 1-5 (5 being the best. 2.5 being the line between good and poor movie. Only movies that attain a grade of at least 3.0 are allowed in the collection. If a DVD is purchased sight unseen and fails to attain a minimum grade of 3.0 it must be disposed of a soon as possible and cannot be stored with the collection. This is usually accomplished by giving it away or trading it in for a different DVD.

2. When a DVD is purchased it is placed at the beginning of the collection. DVD's are watched in order (left to right) and this order is never broken. This assures that each DVD is watched equally and prevents movies from going "stale" do to over viewing. I call this the "good song on the radio syndrome." I think it is self explanatory.

I have also added the following which really is just common sense.

#3 Collection worthy movies can never be watched on TV if they are edited and/or interupted by commercial breaks.

Recent DVD's rated

1. Matchstick Men. Starring Nic Cage as a germaphobe con-man. Not bad but never really got me interested at any point. Worth seeing once but not again
Rating 2.5

2. SWAT. Colin Farrel, Sam L Jackson and one really dumb script. I felt dumber watching it.
Rating 1.50

3. Jackie Brown. Quentin Tararantino as always is a mastermind of superb dialoge and using music to actually enhance the story. However there was never really a point in Jackie Brown where I was completely drawn into the movie. Really tough decision but in the end just not enough.
Rating 2.90

4. Braveheart. Just an awesome movie with war, swords, tits and WWF style betrayels. In a word epic
Rating 4.5

5. Office Space. Having worked at a large accouting firm this film is more of a documentary than comedy. The use of a gangster rap soundtrack is priceless as well. I absolutely love this movie and it makes me thankful I quit my job to play poker after every time I watch it. Just hilarious
Rating 4.55

6. Predator. Back when action movies where action movies and men where men comes the Predator. It works as both a pure action movie and sci-fi flick. Bonus points for "I ain't got time to bleed."
Rating 3.65

7. Anger Management. Good concept, great casting, poor script that gets lost after the first 30 minutes. Should have been much better
Rating 2.60

That makes the collection currently as follows

1. Office Space 4.55
2. Braveheart 4.50
3. Training Day 4.35
4. Swingers 4.25
5. Die Hard 4.00
6. Meet the Parents 3.75
7. Catch Me If You Can 3.60
8. Oceans Eleven 3.45
9. Fog of War 3.30
10. The Recruit 3.25

I added most of the recommendations from last time to my wish list, so keep them coming if you think of more.

Thoughts, Comments on this batch of ratings?