Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Addition

Forgot to respond to your original question about the turn. I think I would continue the slowplay here and check the turn and make a smallish raise if he bets, then lead the river. Probably won't get you much, but I don't think any line would in this instance. A lot of this would depend on the buy-in as well, but this would be my default way to play it I think.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Flop set, Ace hits turn, what next??

[ QUOTE ]
but I personally prefer a check/call here as you did. When the flop comes 10 high and is a rainbow, I prefer to give a free card to the multiple players in the pot hoping they'll catch an A, K, or maybe 2 pair

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one reason why i check/call the flop, Ten high flop may not get action if I bet out.

Any thoughts for action I should take on the river?
Old 05-20-2005, 06:28 PM

zee pot

i actually hadn't payed enuff attention to positions...i too would bet the flop (not check raise) then bet the turn.

Andre
Old 05-20-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I smell a bad beat it sucks that he had KJ.

P.S. Don't slow play flopped sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt villian would bet out on the flop with 2 over cards, even more so with with 5 people at this point in this hand.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since I smell a bad beat it sucks that he had KJ.

P.S. Don't slow play flopped sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt villian would bet out on the flop with 2 over cards, even more so with with 5 people at this point in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a different hand then the one you im'd me the other day then?
Old 05-20-2005, 06:35 PM

Default HOW TO PLAY THE RIVER?

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the comments, this is partly what i was putting into consideration.

I will continue with the hand that played out...
Since I did check call the flop and since an Ace hit the turn...
(I know you may not like this) but I decided to check the turn. I was hoping that villian, will bet out again, But I also planned ahead of MAYBE even checking on whatever came on the river, regardless if he bet or folded. Therefore giving the villian two chances to attempt to steal the pot.

Villian decided check the turn.

River was the Queen (Hearts) so the backdoor flush draw got there and also put up straight possiblities. From his flop bet I put him on he either had an overpair and/or top pair or 2 pair. So I was not worried about him having a straight. Though the flush did get there I was not concerned about this either, for a number of reasons, which would be a long discussion in its self (I will try not to go off topic).

Before I post the final results, I am curious how you would act on the river now, do?
On the river would you check? bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Continueing with this hand, I appreciate the comments about how you would play the flop and the turn.

Now how would you play the river had this hand played out to this point?
Old 05-20-2005, 06:38 PM

Going with my line, if he checks behind on the turn I would just lead out on the river with a value bet that you think he'd call. I usually default to ~1/2 the pot on the river with no reads (and the pot size as it is) -- and it doesn't appear that he likes his hand very much. With a read though, you could get tricky (e.g. if he likes to bluff a lot or whatever). It sucks when you only win ~100 chips with a flopped set, but it happens, and this looks like a case when you aren't going to get much more than that.